|Abstract||Peldon village has enjoyed a bus service now for over one hundred years.
The changes being made by First Bus from February 18th will reduce that service to evenings and Sundays only. Those services continue under contract with Essex County Council and are not affected. The earliest motor bus to provide this service would have been the Daimler Wagonette operated by A.W. Berry and Sons of Port Lane, Colchester. The illustration taken from one of Brian Jay's postcards shows the bus parked in front of the Peldon Rose about 1910. The second picture also comes from one of Brian's postcards and shows a Primrose Bus rounding Hyde Park Corner at the top of St Ives Hill. The card was mailed from Peldon on 29th August 1922.
The Primrose Buses were based in High Street, West Mersea in the building
which is now the MICA centre. Both A.W. Berry and Primrose Buses sold out to Eastern National in the 1930s.
Published in Mersea Life February 2018, local page 19.
Since this article was written, Hedingham buses have stepped into the breach, and extended their 63 service from Colchester, to provide an hourly service through Peldon to West Mersea. See www.hedingham.co.uk.