ID GWG_CHC / Tony Millatt

TitleThe Parish Church of St Stephen Great Wigborough. A history
AbstractThe Parish Church of St Stephen, Great Wigborough.

Beautifully situated on the top of a hill at the highest point of the parish, the tower of the church is a landmark for many miles around. The large manor (Abbots (Abbess) Hall belonged to the important nunnery of Barking from at Least the Norman Conquest (1066) until the dissolution of the monasteries in 1539, and with that went the patronage of the parish church, so we can assume that there was a church here from at least early Norman times. There are records of clergy here back to the 13th century. There was also from early times a chapel at Salcot-Wigborough (now Salcott Parish Church) for the convenience of that hamlet at a distance from the main parish and across the creek, but annexed to the parish church of Great Wigborough. Virley was a separate parish with its own church.

The present church of St Stephen, of septaria and rubble with tilled roofs, owing to rebuilding and restoration has no features earlier than the 14th century. The nave and chancel were built late in the 14th century, but the chancel has been completely rebuilt. Late in the 15th Century a west tower was added, also a south porch, but both have been rebuilt following the extensive damage done by the N.E. Essex Earthquake in 1884. The nave thus remains the only part of the original building, but the windows are mostly modern work. The now blocked north doorway is of late 14th century date; the south doorway is of mid 15th century date. In the northeast corner behind the pulpit is the late 14th century staircase which led to the rood-loft above the chancel screen in pre-Reformation days. The is some reused 15th century material in both tower and porch.

The severe local earthquake in 1884 which did much damage in the area between Colchester and Mersea Island, badly shook the church, dislodging pinnacles from the tower, causing serious cracks, and making the whole building unsafe. The tower had to be rebuilt, the money raised by public subscription and help from the Mansion House Fund; the foundation stone was laid by Mrs Watson on Sept 4th 1885. In 1890 the chancel was entirely rebuilt and the nave restored at a cost of £3,000 by the generosity of the rector - the Revd. Frederick Theobald. In 1895 a new vestry was built on the south side, and in 1903 the south porch restored.

A brief chronology

12th Century. Stone Ornament in splay of south doorway
13th Century. First Recorded Rector. Robert 1241.
14th Century. Nave and former chancel built. North Doorway (now blocked) & Rood Loft Staircase.
1372 Inquisition re Salcott Chapel
15th Century. South Porch and former W. Tower Built. Font. Bell by John Danyell. South Doorway. Door to Tower staircase Niche.
16th Century. The Reformation. Elizabethan Communion Cup & Cover. Paren Marriage Register from 1560: Burials from 1570.
Barking Abbey dissolved.
1555 Wigborough Martyrs John Simson and John Ardley
17th Century. Brass to Henry Bullock, 1609. Baptism Register 1602. Floor slabs to Richard Wiseman 1616: Anne Marke, 1621: & Henry Bullock 1628.
18th Century. Morant, 1768, records:- The Church is of one pace with chancel leaded. In a tower of stone are two bells. It stands on the top of a hill - extensive prospect &c.
19th Century. 1884 earthquake damaged the church. 1885 tower rebuilt. 1890 chancel rebuilt. 1895 vestry added. 1898 pulpit.
1854 Church School built.
20th Century. 1903 S. Porch restored. 1919 new organ. 1929 new lectern.
1963 redecoration and installation of electric light.
Zeppelin L33 brought down in Little Wigborough

Read More:
The Reformation and the Wigborough Martyrs
Great Wigborough War Memorial
The Bells of St Stephen Great Wigborough
The New Tower of Great Wigborough Church
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments 1922 report

Sources
The paragraphs describing the church were used in a leaflet produced by Rev. Edward Lendon in the 1980s, with research by T.B. Millatt.
An updated version [2005] of this leaflet is still available in the church.
The chronology is from a display board produced by T.B. Millatt, now saved in the Church Tower.

AuthorTony Millatt
SourceMersea Museum
IDGWG_CHC
Related Images:
 Great Wigborough Church. Postcard by Hammond, Photo-Artist, Great Totham. Not posted.  CW5_111
ImageID:   CW5_111
Title: Great Wigborough Church. Postcard by Hammond, Photo-Artist, Great Totham. Not posted.
Date:c1911
Source:Mersea Museum / Carol Wyatt Collection
 Great Wigborough Church  YTS_004_087
ImageID:   YTS_004_087
Title: Great Wigborough Church
Date:c1940
Source:Mersea Museum / Yates Family
 Interior of St Stephen's Church, Great Wigborough. Decorated for Harvest Festival ?  YTS_004_089
ImageID:   YTS_004_089
Title: Interior of St Stephen's Church, Great Wigborough. Decorated for Harvest Festival ?
Date:c1940
Source:Mersea Museum / Yates Family
 Rectors of Great Wigborough also Salcot Wigborough until c1832 and with Little Wigborough from 1878. Up to 1789, most of the names are also on the list in Salcott Church <a href=mmphoto.php?typ=ID&hit=1&tot=1&ba=cke&rhit=1&bid=TM2_0573  ID=1>TM2_0573 </a> 
</p><p>
1241 Robert Presbiter de Wigeberia
 1248 John Parson of Wyggebergwe
 1291 Benedict Rector of Magna Wygeberwe
 1352 Nicholas de Sutton Benefactor to Barking Abbey
 1372 William de Welton 
 1372 Walter de Saltcote
 1377 Walter Webb
 1384 William Hayward
 1391 Thomas Steyne
 1392 Nicholas Harper (buried at Gt. Wigborough}
 1410 Stephen Inglset
 Richard Butt
 1441 Roger Martin M.A. Canon of St Pauls
 1461 Thomas Wilford
 1464 William Lilly M.A.
 1464 Thomas Wardall D.C.L. Canon of St Paul's
 1472 Nicholas Lupit
 1475 John Smyth B.C.L.
 John Geve
 1504 John Wynham B.D.
 1517 Henry Crosse 
 1538 Thomas Turner
 1552 Robert Certin
 1556 Edward Popeley B.C.L.
 1560 Richard Pedder
 1560 Ralph Wimbesley
 1584 George Marskall M.A.
 1591 Stephen Gosson B.A. Poet & Playwright
 1600 Arthur Bright D.D. Prebendary of St Paul's
 1617 Edward Scarlet M.A. B.D.
 1636 Francis Walsall M.A. 
 1639 John Alsop B.D. M.A. Fled to France
 
 1645 John Tindall S.T.B,
 1647 Robert Bland M.A.
 1669 John Chappell
 1680 Nathaniel Dennison B.A. Buried at Great Wigborough
 1730 Lawrence Jackson B.D. Prebendary of Lincoln
 1772 John Bennett LL.B.
 1832 Godfrey Bird M.A. R.D. Buried at Great Wigborough
 1879 Frederick Watson M.A. 
 1886 Frederick Theobald M.A. Buried at Great Wigborough
 1925 Llewellyn Christoper Watson Bullock B.A.
 1933 Frederick Yates L. Th. Hon. C.F.
 1952 Arnold de Quincey B.A. 
 1963 Roland Hall (Priest in charge from 1961)
 1964 Arthur Edward Brand Priest in Charge
 1970 Laurence Henry Lamprell B.A.
 1972 John Carpenter M.A.
 1974 James Edward Seddon L. Th.
 The Wigboroughs united with Peldon : 1975
 1981 Edward Charles Lendon M.A.
 1990 John Sinclair Short  GWG_CHC_003
ImageID:   GWG_CHC_003
Title: Rectors of Great Wigborough also Salcot Wigborough until c1832 and with Little Wigborough from 1878. Up to 1789, most of the names are also on the list in Salcott Church TM2_0573

1241 Robert Presbiter de Wigeberia
1248 John Parson of Wyggebergwe
1291 Benedict Rector of Magna Wygeberwe
1352 Nicholas de Sutton Benefactor to Barking Abbey
1372 William de Welton
1372 Walter de Saltcote
1377 Walter Webb
1384 William Hayward
1391 Thomas Steyne
1392 Nicholas Harper (buried at Gt. Wigborough}
1410 Stephen Inglset
Richard Butt
1441 Roger Martin M.A. Canon of St Pauls
1461 Thomas Wilford
1464 William Lilly M.A.
1464 Thomas Wardall D.C.L. Canon of St Paul's
1472 Nicholas Lupit
1475 John Smyth B.C.L.
John Geve
1504 John Wynham B.D.
1517 Henry Crosse
1538 Thomas Turner
1552 Robert Certin
1556 Edward Popeley B.C.L.
1560 Richard Pedder
1560 Ralph Wimbesley
1584 George Marskall M.A.
1591 Stephen Gosson B.A. Poet & Playwright
1600 Arthur Bright D.D. Prebendary of St Paul's
1617 Edward Scarlet M.A. B.D.
1636 Francis Walsall M.A.
1639 John Alsop B.D. M.A. Fled to France

1645 John Tindall S.T.B,
1647 Robert Bland M.A.
1669 John Chappell
1680 Nathaniel Dennison B.A. Buried at Great Wigborough
1730 Lawrence Jackson B.D. Prebendary of Lincoln
1772 John Bennett LL.B.
1832 Godfrey Bird M.A. R.D. Buried at Great Wigborough
1879 Frederick Watson M.A.
1886 Frederick Theobald M.A. Buried at Great Wigborough
1925 Llewellyn Christoper Watson Bullock B.A.
1933 Frederick Yates L. Th. Hon. C.F.
1952 Arnold de Quincey B.A.
1963 Roland Hall (Priest in charge from 1961)
1964 Arthur Edward Brand Priest in Charge
1970 Laurence Henry Lamprell B.A.
1972 John Carpenter M.A.
1974 James Edward Seddon L. Th.
The Wigboroughs united with Peldon : 1975
1981 Edward Charles Lendon M.A.
1990 John Sinclair Short

Date:9 November 2018
Source:Mersea Museum / Tony Millatt
 Great Wigborough Parish Church - chancel and east window.  GWG_CHC_011
ImageID:   GWG_CHC_011
Title: Great Wigborough Parish Church - chancel and east window.
Date:9 November 2018
Source:Mersea Museum / Tony Millatt
 St Stephen's Church, Great Wigborough  GWG_CHC_015
ImageID:   GWG_CHC_015
Title: St Stephen's Church, Great Wigborough
Date:9 November 2018
Source:Mersea Museum / Tony Millatt
 St Stephen's Church, Great Wigborough. Interior.  GWG_CHC_017
ImageID:   GWG_CHC_017
Title: St Stephen's Church, Great Wigborough. Interior.
Date:9 November 2018
Source:Mersea Museum
 St Stephen, Great Wigborough. East Window
 The church was badly damaged in the 1884 earthquake. The chancel was rebuilt 1889-93 and a new stained glass by Hardman & Co. was put in the east window. It depicts from left to right; Edmund King of East Anglia receiving the Danish Chieftain Ragnar Logbrog, the Martyrdom of Kind Edmund, The Crucifixion, Alban receiving the Christian priest Amphibalus and the Martyrdom of Alban. 
 [ Chris Parkinson ]  CPK_GWG_001
ImageID:   CPK_GWG_001
Title: St Stephen, Great Wigborough. East Window
The church was badly damaged in the 1884 earthquake. The chancel was rebuilt 1889-93 and a new stained glass by Hardman & Co. was put in the east window. It depicts from left to right; Edmund King of East Anglia receiving the Danish Chieftain Ragnar Logbrog, the Martyrdom of Kind Edmund, The Crucifixion, Alban receiving the Christian priest Amphibalus and the Martyrdom of Alban.
[ Chris Parkinson ]
Date:25 January 2019
Source:Mersea Museum / Chris Parkinson
 St Stephen's Church, Great Wigborough. South vestry.
</p><p>The glass is by Charles Clutterbuck and appears to have been made before the 1884 Earthquake. It is in the 13th century style, small picture panels against a foliated grisaille and a background of interwoven ivy leaves and branches. 
 The Vestry was built in 1895 so the window was moved here from elsewhere - there would have been a window where the entrance to the vestry is now.
</p><p>In Memory of Sarah Jane Bird, wife of Rev. Godfrey Bird of this Parish died 6th January 1854.  CPK_GWG_017
ImageID:   CPK_GWG_017
Title: St Stephen's Church, Great Wigborough. South vestry.

The glass is by Charles Clutterbuck and appears to have been made before the 1884 Earthquake. It is in the 13th century style, small picture panels against a foliated grisaille and a background of interwoven ivy leaves and branches.
The Vestry was built in 1895 so the window was moved here from elsewhere - there would have been a window where the entrance to the vestry is now.

In Memory of Sarah Jane Bird, wife of Rev. Godfrey Bird of this Parish died 6th January 1854.

Date:25 January 2019
Source:Mersea Museum / Chris Parkinson
 Great Wigborough Parish Church (St. Stephen) plan  GWG_CHC_031
ImageID:   GWG_CHC_031
Title: Great Wigborough Parish Church (St. Stephen) plan
Source:Mersea Museum
 Great Wigborough Church decorated for a festival. It is inside a Christmas Card from Rev. & Mrs Yates, perhaps dating from the 1940s. There is no electricity - an oil lamp can be seen on the wall on the left of the picture.  YTS_008_001_003
ImageID:   YTS_008_001_003
Title: Great Wigborough Church decorated for a festival. It is inside a Christmas Card from Rev. & Mrs Yates, perhaps dating from the 1940s. There is no electricity - an oil lamp can be seen on the wall on the left of the picture.
Source:Mersea Museum / Yates Family