ID EAS_1936_P155

TitleReverend Llewellyn Christopher Watson Bullock M.A.
AbstractIN MEMORIAM. THE REV. LLEWELLYN CHRISTOPHER WATSON BULLOCK, B.A.

Obituary from Essex Archaeological Society

The death of the Rev. Ll. C. Watson Bullock on 10 February, 1936, deprived the Society of a member who was actively interested in its work. Born in 1866, at Faulkbourne Hall, near Witham, he was the second son of the Rev. Walter Trevelyan Bullock, and a representative, in the female line, of one of the oldest Essex families. The Bullocks are said to have come from Berkshire to Essex in the time of Elizabeth. John Bullock, of Wigborough, died in 1595. His grandson, Sir Edward Bullock, Kt., purchased Faulkbourne Hall c. 1637, and died in 1644. He entered his pedigree at the Herald's Visitation in 1612, and his descendants in the male line continued at Faulkbourne until John Bullock, dying without issue, left the property in 1809 to his sister's son, John Josiah Christopher Watson, who assumed the surname of Bullock in 1810. The (Watson) Bullocks remained at Faulkbourne Hall until c. 1890, when the elder brother of the Rev. Ll. C. Watson Bullock sold it to Mr. Andrew Motion, who resold it after a few years to the late Mr. Christopher Parker.

Llewellyn Bullock was educated at Marlborough and King's College, Cambridge. He was assistant master, first at Liverpool College (1895-1902), and then at Rugby School (1902-1925). In the latter year he became rector of Great and Little Wigborough, where he remained until 1933, when he retired and went to reside at Colchester. Deeply interested in genealogical, heraldic and kindred matters from boyhood, it was perhaps given to few to realise his varied attainments. For many years he was hampered by ill-health, which, though bravely concealed, limited his activity and capacity for prolonged research. Moreover, a certain fastidiousness which marked him made him critical of his own work and in consequence he published but little. He has left, however, numerous MS. notes on various subjects, including material for a history of the collar of SS., and these have been presented to the Society's Library by his widow.

His membership of the Essex Archaeological Society dated from 1925, soon after his return to Essex, and he was elected to the Council in 1934. The writer, who was privileged to he counted among his friends, experienced a deep sense of personal loss at his death. Whenever one met him there was always some interesting point to discuss - an unusual medieval English or Latin word, an historical or heraldic problem - regal heraldry much engaged his attention latterly - or a question of modern English usage; but whatever the subject brought under review might be, and it was not always archaeological, the refinement of his intellect was apparent. Naturally, our Transactions benefited by these discussions; he also rendered further assistance in reading proofs, a task that was congenial to him, and occasionally he would visit Somerset House to verify an extract from a will, or search for information bearing upon some particular question.

His most important published work was "Memoirs of the Bullock Family, A.D. 1166-1905," privately issued in 1905. He was also the author of "In Lonely Walks " (1916) - a collection of verse, chiefly lyrical, suggested partly by the war.

A man of singular charm, and one who subordinated outside interests to the administration of his parish, he represented a type of clergyman, which, under modern conditions, threatens to become rarer than formerly. We may hope it will never become extinct, for that would be too great a price to pay even for a dead level of efficiency.

The funeral service was held at St. Mary-at-the-Walls, Colchester, on 14 February, prior to the interment at Great Wigborough.

G.M.B.

With thanks, from Essex Archaeological Society Transactions New Series XXII Part 1 pages 155 to 157.

Read more:
A history of Great Wigborough Church

Published1936
SourceMersea Museum
IDEAS_1936_P155