1. The Houseboats, West Mersea. ERYCINA, COLUMBINE, EVANDRA (Fifie) formerly WMYC headquarters, in background. M.Y. FREBELLE II, owned by Bert Hines, Aldham Hall. ...
Image ID MMC_P755_003
2. Rose Bank Hill, West Mersea. W.H. Tilstone's Series postcard.
Image ID MMC_P755_005
3. The Strood, West Mersea. Motorcycle & sidecar on the right, registration F5095. The photographer's transport ?
View 78494 from multiview postcard ...
Image ID MMC_P755_007_001
4. Victory Lane, West Mersea.
Another copy of this card was posted 5 July 1906 by Nettie to Miss M. French, Earls Colne [ Rulin_Peter_5/RUD_AB2_065 ].
Date: Before July 1906
Image ID MMC_P755_008
5. Victory Lane, City, West Mersea. [Old] Victory pub on the left and Cornerways on the right.
Image ID MMC_P755_009
6. High tide at the Old City - 'old' Victory and Cornerways to the right of it.
The white railings this side of the old Victory are where the Bumby Ditch ...
Image ID MMC_P755_010
7. The Old City with the Victory centre left and Cornerways on the right at the bottom of the Lane. Cornerways was later reduced in height. Carriage at the bottom ...
Date: Before July 1906
Image ID MMC_P755_013
8. The Victory, West Mersea. The new Victory was built further up Coast Road c1906.
Postcard by F. Artis, Dedham, No.50. Another copy of this card was mailed ...
Date: Before October 1904
Image ID MMC_P755_015
9. Hove Creek - smacksmen are setting their trawls on the marsh beside the creek, with Jim Cook senior (in white) sitting on beam. Half a dozen smacks can be seen ...
Image ID MMC_P755_017
10. Ted Woolfe's Oyster pits, West Mersea - emptying for next tide. Bill Wyatt, when an apprentice, helped in the construction of this building.
Another copy ...
Date: Before November 1916
Image ID MMC_P755_018
11. Oyster Pits, West Mersea. The big elm tree gave nearby Elmtree House its name, known in earlier years as Elm Tree Cottage or Elm Cottage.
Another copy of ...
Date: Before 1904
Image ID MMC_P755_019
12. Hove Creek, working on a trawl. Jim Cook Snr in white.
Image ID MMC_P755_023
13. Smack DAISY BELLE oyster dredging. Bert French. Another copy of this postcard was written 18 August 1903.
Date: Before August 1903
Image ID MMC_P755_024
14. Ted Vince & 'Sooty' Mussett
Image ID MMC_P755_025
15. Clifford White's lorries unloading barges on the Hard. The barge on the left is the RUSSELL, loaded with bricks; in the centre with timber is GOLDEN FLEECE of ...
Image ID MMC_P755_026
16. Journeys End, Coast Road, now West Mersea Yacht Club.
Image ID MMC_P755_030
17. Victory Hotel, West Mersea. Bawley on the right is NANCY of Mersea.
Bawley is the PRIMA DONNA ? (JM) owned by Dornton Duff
Postcard 14382. Copy P870-I of ...
Date: Before September 1924
Image ID MMC_P755_032
18. The new Victory Hotel - a Cleghorn postcard. Landlord Bill Trim to the right of the front door ?
Image ID MMC_P755_033
19. General D'Wit and Eliza D'Wit outside Liza's in High Street.
This shop, now regarded as 'Woodwards' was at this time owned by the D'Wit family, who sold ...
Image ID MMC_P755_036
20. Post Office and Cock's butchers at Yorick Road Corner. War Memorial Garden on right. Wash's Tea Rooms behind the War Memorial were to be destroyed by fire.
Image ID MMC_P755_038
21. Roman Wheel Tomb in found in a garden on Beach Road in 1896. Known locally as the Pharos as it was once thought to be the foundation of a Roman Lighthouse, but ...
Image ID MMC_P755_041
22. West Mersea Brickworks. Clifford White & Co., brick, tile & pipe manufacturers & timber merchants. Phone West Mersea 1. The yard employed several men and lasted ...
Image ID MMC_P755_046
23. Lower Kingsland Road, West Mersea, in the days before it was made up.
Image ID MMC_P755_047
24. School group, West Mersea School, thought to be before WW1.
Back row L-R 4. Tim Farthing, 8. picture is Dossy Edwards.
Front row L-R 3. Fred Pullen, ...
Image ID MMC_P755_048
25. The School, West Mersea
Owen Fletcher wrote "From 1920 to 1935 the small building on the right housed the senior classes Standards 4-6. Building on the ...
Image ID MMC_P755_049
26. The Schools, West Mersea. The 1899 building on the left and the School House to the right of centre. On the right is the earlier school room, opened in 1871.
Image ID MMC_P755_050
27. Barfield Road, West Mersea. School on the left, looking towards the British Legion. White's Series postcard.
Image ID MMC_P755_051
28. Kingsland Road
Image ID MMC_P755_052
29. East Road, West Mersea. Another copy of this card was posted 1 November 1906
Date: Before November 1906
Image ID MMC_P755_053
30. Road near Yachting Club, West Mersea. Coast Road looking from near Orleans. Coastguard hut on extreme left. Another copy of this card was posted 1904.
Date: Before 1904
Image ID MMC_P755_059