1. Strood Channel and the Nothe. Dabchicks Sailing Club - the first black-boarded building, opened 1955. Ala Evers.
Old City, West Mersea. Postcard 29038, ...
Date: Before July 1961
Image ID RG11_017
2. In front of Sadlers Cottages at the top of The Lane.
From Left back Gunner Burgess, Rose Burgess, Violet Burgess, Bob Burgess.
Front Dorothy Greenleaf, ...
Image ID RG11_043
3. West Mersea. The Quarters. Photocrom postcard mailed 17 July 1935 to Oliver Vaudrey, Edgbaston, Birmingham.
Date: Before July 1935
Image ID RG11_045
4. Titled Kings Hard, but this is the causeway at the Hard, West Mersea. Postcard by E.T.W. Dennis. Another copy of this card was mailed 20 August 1910.
Date: Before August 1910
Image ID RG11_049
5. The causeway - an early one built of concrete slabs. Postcard 80920 posted 10 July 1930.
Date: Before July 1930
Image ID RG11_051
6. West Mersea - an old causeway. The house in the centre is Journey's End, now West Mersea Yacht Club. Postcard 80919.
Image ID RG11_053
7. The Creek, West Mersea - a postcard view along Coast Road. The barge dressed overall and a line of boats suggest it is Regatta Day.
Postcard by E.T.W. ...
Date: Before March 1917
Image ID RG11_067
8. Band No 1 Corp on Coast Road Green about 1920, playing for the Regatta.
1: Ken Bacon (born 1905), 2: Arthur Green, 3: Claude Bacon (born 1903) 4: 'Gunner' ...
Image ID RG11_069
9. Waiting for the Band. Postcard by Hammond, Great Totham, mailed Mersea 22 September 1911 to Miss French, Blackheath from Nell. The wall the shed on the left ...
Date: August 1911
Image ID RG11_073
10. Regatta Day No.3, West Mersea. Postcard by Hammond, Great Totham.
Date: August 1911
Image ID RG11_075
11. Coast Road, West Mersea. The first Social and Sailing Club on the right. Postcard by J. Hyde.
This is the original club, which had been converted from ...
Image ID RG11_079
12. West Mersea multiview postcard 141543 by Bells.
Image ID RG11_087
13. Tollesbury & Mersea Oyster Co. Men working on Packing Shed Marsh circa 1900 showing the immaculate oyster pits. These were used for storing oysters prior to ...
Date: Before August 1908
Image ID RG11_111
14. River Ore, Orford. Smack CK263 WENONAH in a winter berth.
Image ID RG11_117
15. 'Dabchicks' in the River Ore. The start of a race from the quay at Orford. There was an article on the Orford Dabchick Sailing Club in 2007 Regatta Programme.
Image ID RG11_119
16. West Mersea. Bawley 270CK PETREL at the Hard, West Mersea, owned by William John Stoker. Barge BRITANNIC.
Postcard No.11. Another copy of this card is ...
Date: Before 1911
Image ID RG11_123
17. West Mersea winkle brig KATE racing in one of the early races of the Dabchicks Sailing Club. She was built for William Trim. 1930s.
Used in The Salty Shore ...
Image ID RG11_125
18. Smack UNITY - 197CK, before the War. She was owned by the French brothers but always sailed by Bill Wyatt.
Image ID RG11_127
19. House boats at West Mersea. Taken from Hove Hill on Coast Road. Hove Creek in the centre. Yacht PORT ERROL in Buzzon. Photochrom Postcard 69780.
Notes from ...
Image ID RG11_133
20. Houseboats. ERYCINA (left) and EVANDRA (Fifie) formerly WMYC headquarters. In 1910 EVANDRA is mentioned in Yachting World [BOX115_001] as providing ...
Date: Before September 1913
Image ID RG11_145
21. Oyster pits, West Mersea. In the distance in the centre is the PHILOCTETES laid up in the River Blackwater.
Date: Before April 1947
Image ID RG11_153
22. Yachting at West Mersea. Schooner. Bell's postcard.
Image ID RG11_159
23. Paddling at West Mersea. By the Monkey Steps.
Another copy of this card was mailed from Daisy Bank, West Mersea 13 August 1913.
Date: Before August 1913
Image ID RG11_185
24. The Waverley Hotel, West Mersea. Coast Road. Postcard mailed 16 October 1912, to Mrs R. Burgess, The Chase, West Mersea.
Date: Before October 1912
Image ID RG11_189
25. By the cliffs, West Mersea. Coast Road with Coastguard station on the left. Another copy of this postcad was mailed 1916.
Date: Before 1916
Image ID RG11_205
26. Near the church, West Mersea. Coast Road with Yew Tree House (also known as Walnut Tree House) on the left. Lilywhite postcard WM5. Another copy of this card ...
Date: Before September 1930
Image ID RG11_211
27. Near the Cliffs, West Mersea. Coast Road with Monkey Steps on the right. Yew Tree House on the left.
Image ID RG11_213
28. D'Wits Tea and Oyster Rooms, West Mersea. White Hart on the left. Looking across the corner of Yorick Road - now the Cock's butchers. Postcard published by T ...
Image ID RG11_217
29. Church Corner, West Mersea. Teddy and Billy Vince. Berry's bus in Church Road. Postcard mailed 3 August 1929, from Rosie Lennard, Brazil House, Seaview ...
Date: Before August 1929.
Image ID RG11_221
30. West Mersea Church. Postcard by Hammond, Great Totham, mailed 10 October 1910.
In front of the tower, near the top of the south-facing roof, can be seen ...
Date: Before October 1910
Image ID RG11_229