1. Some of the bones dug up in 1979 behind the Coast Road cottages near the church.
Date: 3 July 2007
Image ID COR2_012_001
2. Some of the bones dug up in 1979 behind the Coast Road cottages near West Mersea church.
Date: 3 July 2007
Image ID COR2_012_003
3. Skull dug up in 1979 behind the Coast Road cottages near West Mersea church.
Image ID COR2_012_004
4. Board walk timbers found off Coopers Beach. Wrapping timber 3 at Museum of London Archaeology. Scale drawings were done and then they were sent to Portsmouth ...
Date: 31 March 2017
Image ID CZN_TBR_041
5. The timbers found in the mud off Mersea waiting to go into the preservation tank.
Date: July 2018
Image ID DC10_MUS_031
6. Timbers found in the mud off Mersea in 2017, now in the preservation tank.
Date: July 2018
Image ID DC10_MUS_033
7. A pram outside the Museum cottage. The pram dates from 1968 and was made by boatbuilder John Milgate for his young son Angus.
Date: 1 May 2017
Image ID DIS2017_131
8. Mini exhibition of vintage clothing, interesting and unusual textiles. Left to right Georgie Hewes, Christine Bassett's 1959 wedding dress with a very small ...
Date: 27 July 2018
Image ID DIS2018_VCL_001
9. Ray Smith with the working water pump he has restored during the past winter. It is very popular with Museum visitors.
Date: 24 May 2019
Image ID DIS2019_002
10. Working water pump, restored 2019 by Ray Smith. The pumps had many uses - one of them can be found on the preserved lightship at Harwich where it was used to ...
Date: 18 August 2019
Image ID DIS2019_003
11. Our Telephone Box. Go inside and Press Button B - but you may not get your money back.
Date: 30 June 2019
Image ID DIS2019_005
12. Inside our Telephone Box. Press Button A to connect or Press Button B to get your money back.
Top right is a list of early telephone numbers, starting with ...
Date: 30 June 2019
Image ID DIS2019_007
13. Fire siren used on Mersea and loaned by Jonathan Mussett of West Mersea Fire Brigade. In later years it was sited behind the Fire Station in Melrose Road and ...
Image ID DIS2019_011
14. "Spring Tree". Sculpture by Richard Perry Bedford, c1932.
Donated by Susan Luckham
Accession No. 2014.05.003
Date: 21 June 2019
Image ID DIS2019_RPB_001
15. Mr Bill Pontyfix at the old Victorian Post Box at The Hard in 1959. This was later the first Lifeboat Shed and is in front of Stone House. The post box was ...
Image ID FL12_023_001
16. Anchor recovered from Barrow Deep by West Mersea Skipper Pat Mead of fishing boat OAKLEIGH and landed at Colchester Hythe. The anchor weighed over 2 tons and is ...
Date: August 1977
Image ID IA003350
17. Kids' Corner in Mersea Museum 2006 season. The wheel was loaned by Martin Wade and had been rescued from the sailing barge UNITY by John Milgate. Nelson's Cabin ...
Date: 26 June 2006
Image ID IA003390
18. Gun punt built by William Wyatt at West Mersea in 1919. It has its original gun and was used for wildfowling in Mersea for many years, owned by Charlie Stoker ...
Date: 1 May 2008
Image ID IA003400
19. Anchor recovered from Barrow Deep by West Mersea fisherman Pat Mead, at the Hythe, Colchester, en route to Mersea.
Image ID IA003410
20. Anchor recovered from Barrow Deep by West Mersea fisherman Pat Mead, at the Hythe en route to Mersea.
Image ID IA003411
21. The Horned Lizard, by Richard Perry Bedford, 1883-1967.
Comment by Jenny Vuglar 21 February 2012: "Interesting - only image of his work I have been ...
Image ID IA004220
22. The first or second vertebra, after the head, of a mammoth. It would have been dredged from the sea - a fact that is obvious, to the expert, from its colour and ...
Image ID IA004225_VERTEBRA
23. Mirror that was broken by the earthquake 22 April 1884, donated to the Museum January 2012.
A note on the back of the mirror says
"This Mirror is a ...
Date: 29 June 1884
Image ID IA004542
24. The Museum's telephone box on the move, prior to repainting. Transport provided by Duncan Pittock.
Date: 19 January 2016
Image ID IA01_525
25. Sewing machine that was left inside the Museum grounds September 2019 - donor unknown.
The machine is an Essex Miniature Sewing Machine manufactured by The ...
Date: 28 September 2019
Image ID IA01_694
26. Milk bottle from Brierley Hall Dairy, West Mersea, found on the mud at Mersea Hard by David Conway July 2018. The bottle has barnacles on its bottom and was ...
Date: 1 August 2018
Image ID IA01_801
27. Small two burner paraffin stove used by donor's grandmother, Edith Hyam, from Peldon. On display in Mersea Museum.
Accession No. 2010.08.004D donated by ...
Date: 5 September 2018
Image ID IA01_845
28. Bison bones found on the mudflats off East Mersea. They were found by Chris Nower and Julie Shead, and identified by Steve Boreham of the University of ...
Date: 22 April 2011
Image ID IA01_BIS_001
29. Bison bones found off East Mersea by Chris Nower and Julie Shead.
They were found approximately 100 yards off the beach near Cosway's caravan park. One small ...
Date: cApril 2011
Image ID IA01_BIS_007
30. A piece of shrapnel from the land mine which came down in the road in East Mersea.
20 November 1940 Parachute mine dropped on road between West and ...
Date: 21 November 1940
Image ID JAS_001