1. Oyster laying for sale, House Propert, Smacks, auction E.J. Craske 23 Feb 1875.
Lot 1 Stone House
Smacks THE SARAH, THE BROTHERS, THE...
Date: 23 February 1875
Image ID ABD_039
2. Adela Cottage, Victory Road, West Mersea. Built 1908 for Ernest (Manny) French. Named after the schooner ADELA on which Ernest was Chief Steward.
Image ID ACN_001
3. Top Chapel in Mill Road, West Mersea. The building on the left at the end of the drive was a very early school on the island. The Congregational Church is now...
Date: Before May 1905
Image ID ALS_WHI_031
4. The mill in Mill Road, West Mersea.
Image ID ALS_WHI_051
5. The rear of 22 Victory Road, West Mersea. Home of Joan, Norman and Ann Ward. They had bought the land from Mrs de Manby - enough to build numbers 22 and 26....
Image ID AN04_037_003
6. Emily Pullen outside "Beeches", now 26 Victory Road. Number 22 next door, where the Ward family eventually lived, is yet to be built.
Image ID AN13_029_001
7. Summer House at the back of 26 Victory Road. Ann Ward
Date: August 1964
Image ID AN13_030_001
8. Anthea Harding sitting on the wall at her grandparent's house - 'Strood Close' on the Peldon side of the Strood. This wall came down in the 1953 flood.
Date: Before February 1953
Image ID AW02_001_126
9. Gwendoline and Edward Harding outside their home - Strood Close, The Strood, Peldon. They named the house Strood Close. They had bought the house from...
Image ID AW02_003
10. Aerial view of part of East Road, West Mersea, looking northeast. Brierley Hall is lower centre. On the left is Mondamin, with Patricia Catchpole's stables next...
Image ID AWA_011
11. Patricia Catchpole's stables on East Road.
Anne Watson says "The second building was put up in 58, we called it "Buckingham Palace" it was an old prefab...
Image ID AWA_025
12. Patricia Catchpole at Hall Barn Riding Stables.
Image ID AWA_029
13. Orleans House, West Mersea, now demolished. From Essex in Literature, Essex County Standard 6 May 1960.
Date: Before 6 May 1960
Image ID BOXL_045_001_003
14. Catholic Church of St Cedd and St Gregory, West Mersea. 50th Anniversary Mass and Barbecue. 1962-2012.
Founding families Banks, Bouckley, Davis, Fahie,...
Date: 16 June 2012
Image ID CEDD_001
15. Last days of Cherry Cottage, The Lane.
On the left is the shed used by Bert Cudmore, the carrier.
The 1951 Electoral Roll says Mrs Florence G. Mole...
Date: March 1961.
Image ID CHS_027
16. The Croft, Melrose Road, West Mersea. Home of Clifford White and Family.
Image ID CMW_FAM_203
17. Riverside House, West Mersea. Later 118 Coast Road.
The lady on left is Martha Stoker, the girl standing is Grace Stoker [Andy Brown]
[ In 1911...
Image ID CMW_FAM_207
18. Surviving earthworks of the East Mersea Blockhouse Fort. Taken from the seawall looking south.
Image ID COR2_020_001
19. The Blockhouse Fort at East Mersea.
Drawing: Cudmore Grove Country Park / Essex County Council.
Image ID COR2_020_003
20. From a Paper on Mersea Island read by Dr Philip Laver at AGM of Essex Archaeological Society.
Foundation of Roman Building at West Mersea. [known as the...
Date: 26 April 1923
Image ID CW2_EAS_009_001
21. Former Post Office, High Street opposite Yorick Road. Toby Greenleaf.
From Dixon family photographs.
Image ID CW2_P15_009
22. Cottages in The Lane, West Mersea. The cottages at the right hand end had once been the Ship public house. The cottages were demolished and the City Hall built...
Image ID CW5_027
Outside West Mersea Parish Church, taken Summer 1947.
Back L-R 1. Frank Eley, 2., 3., 4., 5., 6. Eileen Brown, 7., 8. Frank Pullen, 9. Dorothy Brown,...
Date: cAugust 1947
Image ID DB03_049_001
24. Riverside House, Coast Road
Stoker / Brown family pictures - Album 7
Image ID DB07_012_003
25. Riverside, Coast Road. William Stoker, Vera Kate Stoker.
Image ID DB17_001
26. Digby's Shop being demolished.
Image ID DBO_077
27. Brierley Paddocks development - conversion of the barn behind Brierley Hall started.
Date: c30 September 2001
Image ID DC5_073
28. Home Farm, East Mersea. The farmhouse was demolished in the 1950s, roof tiles from the house were re-used on the present bungalow. Postcard 101902.
Image ID DIS2004_EME_011
29. East Mersea Hall.
Image ID DIS2004_EME_071
30. Once a strongpoint in West Mersea's defences against the Nazi invasion, this blockhouse is now a happy rendezvous for holidaymakers and local folk in search of...
Date: 14 October 1949
Image ID DM1_AB4_021_003