1. Adela Cottage, Victory Road, West Mersea. Built 1908 for Ernest (Manny) French. Named after the schooner ADELA on which Ernest was Chief Steward.
Image ID ACN_001
2. Top Chapel in Mill Road, West Mersea. The building on the left at the end of the drive was a very early school on the island. The Congregational Church is now ...
Date: Before May 1905
Image ID ALS_WHI_031
3. The mill in Mill Road, West Mersea.
Image ID ALS_WHI_051
4. The rear of 22 Victory Road, West Mersea. Home of Joan, Norman and Ann Ward. They had bought the land from Mrs de Manby - enough to build numbers 22 and 26. ...
Image ID AN04_037_003
5. Emily Pullen outside "Beeches", now 26 Victory Road. Number 22 next door, where the Ward family eventually lived, is yet to be built.
Image ID AN13_029_001
6. Summer House at the back of 26 Victory Road. Ann Ward
Date: August 1964
Image ID AN13_030_001
7. Anthea Harding sitting on the wall at her grandparent's house - 'Strood Close' on the Peldon side of the Strood. This wall came down in the 1953 flood.
Date: Before February 1953
Image ID AW02_001_126
8. Gwendoline and Edward Harding outside their home - Strood Close, The Strood, Peldon. They named the house Strood Close. They had bought the house from ...
Image ID AW02_003
9. Aerial view of part of East Road, West Mersea, looking northeast. Brierley Hall is lower centre. On the left is Mondamin, with Patricia Catchpole's stables next ...
Image ID AWA_011
10. Patricia Catchpole's stables on East Road.
Anne Watson says "The second building was put up in 58, we called it "Buckingham Palace" it was an old prefab ...
Image ID AWA_025
11. Patricia Catchpole at Hall Barn Riding Stables.
Image ID AWA_029
12. Orleans House, West Mersea, now demolished. From Essex in Literature, Essex County Standard 6 May 1960.
Date: Before 6 May 1960
Image ID BOXL_045_001_003
13. Mr & Mrs Wheeler's house in Lower Kingsland Road ?
The girls with the lovely pushchair are not known.
Image ID CHS_013
14. Grandmother Southgate's cottage onthe left. Mrs Cundy's cottage first door. The Lane. March 1961, just before Cundy's cottage was demolished.
Now Curlew ...
Date: March 1961
Image ID CHS_025
15. Last days of Cherry Cottage, The Lane.
On the left is the shed used by Bert Cudmore, the carrier.
The 1951 Electoral Roll says Mrs Florence G. Mole ...
Date: March 1961.
Image ID CHS_027
16. The Croft, Melrose Road, West Mersea. Home of Clifford White and Family.
Image ID CMW_FAM_203
17. Riverside House, West Mersea. Later 118 Coast Road.
The lady on left is Martha Stoker, the girl standing is Grace Stoker [Andy Brown]
[ In 1911 ...
Image ID CMW_FAM_207
18. Surviving earthworks of the East Mersea Blockhouse Fort. Taken from the seawall looking south.
Image ID COR2_020_001
19. The Blockhouse Fort at East Mersea.
Drawing: Cudmore Grove Country Park / Essex County Council.
Image ID COR2_020_003
20. West Mersea Parish Church, south aisle. Stained glass window by Lisa McFarlane in 2005, commemorating Mersea Island's Fishermen and Oystermen.
At the top ...
Image ID CPK_WMP_003
21. From a Paper on Mersea Island read by Dr Philip Laver at AGM of Essex Archaeological Society.
Foundation of Roman Building at West Mersea. [known as the ...
Date: 26 April 1923
Image ID CW2_EAS_009_001
22. Former Post Office, High Street opposite Yorick Road. Toby Greenleaf.
From Dixon family photographs.
Image ID CW2_P15_009
23. West Mersea Church - interior. Postcard 101942.
Writing on the back says "Its ever so old, all the pews are painted bottle green it does look ...
Date: Before April 1932
Image ID CW3_001
24. Cottages in The Lane, West Mersea. The cottages at the right hand end had once been the Ship public house. The cottages were demolished and the City Hall built ...
Image ID CW5_027
25. Great Eastern Railway bus outside West Mersea Church. Another copy of this postcard was mailed July 1908.
Date: Before July 1908
Image ID CW5_057
Outside West Mersea Parish Church, taken Summer 1947.
Back L-R 1. Frank Eley, 2., 3., 4., 5., 6. Eileen Brown, 7., 8. Frank Pullen, 9. Dorothy Brown, ...
Date: cAugust 1947
Image ID DB03_049_001
27. Riverside House, Coast Road
Stoker / Brown family pictures - Album 7
Image ID DB07_012_003
28. Riverside, Coast Road. William Stoker, Vera Kate Stoker.
Image ID DB17_001
29. Digby's Shop being demolished.
Image ID DBO_077
30. Demolition of Rosewood, 30 Victory Road. The house had been the home of the Banks family for many years.
Date: 20 June 2019
Image ID DC10_VRD_001