1. Long guns and tall tales. L-R Bob South, who killed nine Brent geese with one shot from a single 12-bore; 'Admiral' Bill Wyatt, aged eighty-one and still...
Image ID BOX004_023_001
2. A party outside the Victory Inn, perhaps in Mersea to enjoy the Oyster Teas advertised by the Victory. The writing on the front of the Inn says Colchester...
Date: Before July 1907
Image ID CBR_001
3. The Fox. Colchester Brewing Co. Ltd. East Road, West Mersea. Postcard mailed June 1915.
Date: Before June 1915
Image ID CW6_041
4. Funeral of Mr H.T. Hone. The funeral took place on Wednesday, the vicar Rev. C. Pierrepont Edwards MC officiating, of Mr Herbert Thomas Hone of the Swan Hotel,...
Date: 18 July 1942
Image ID DM1_AB3_020_019
5. Water in bottle of whisky. A bottle of whisky said to have contained 11 percent water led to an East Mersea licensee, John Scholey, of the Dog and Pheasant,...
Date: 13 December 1946
Image ID DM2_AB10_069_001
6. Seed growing - view from Coast Road across to Church Road and White Hart.
Fair Haven Temperance Resort brochure. Page 10.
Image ID FAV_012_002
7. Photo taken in back room of British Legion Club about 1952.
Reg Jay, Maurice Jay, Sid Milgate, Jimmy Simmonds.
Jimmy Simmonds wearing American Air...
Image ID FL03_027_002
8. White Hart Darts Club
L-R back Cyril 'Lizzie' Green, 'Alfie' ?, Hector Hewes, 'Daddy' ?, Alfie Mole, George Milgate, Stanley 'Bump' Farthing, Reg...
Image ID FL05_042_001
9. Outside the White Hart after 12" of snow in 1958.
Ron Pamment, George Milgate, Cyril 'Lizzie' Green.
From Album 5.
Date: cFebruary 1958
Image ID FL05_042_002
10. At the Sailing and Social Club.
1. Bert 'Luvvy' Carter, 2. Oscar Whiting, 3. Frank Ashworth, 4. Dudley Cock, 5. Vincent Thorp, 6. Frederick Smith,
Image ID FL07_020_001
11. The Public Bar at the Fountain Pub. The pub was run by Major 'Pom' and Dorrie Aldous.
L-R Maurice Jay, Derek Whitelock, John Dixon, 'Hoilly Green, Maurice...
Image ID FL08_066_001
12. The Public Bar at the Fountain Pub. The pub was run by Major 'Pom' and Dorrie Aldous.
Maurice Fletcher, Claude Green. Claude worked part time at Fountain...
Image ID FL08_066_003
13. Fred Smith's bakers cart down the 'City End' by the old Victory. John Woods just visible on the left.
Wm Wyatt with brushes. Miss Smith and Miss Bagworth...
Image ID FL10_007_001
14. White Hart Hotel from the church tower. This was probably at the time of the 1990 Lions Festival.
Photo by Don Procter.
From Album 12.
Image ID FL12_015_001
15. The Victory, old City, West Mersea. Colchester Brewing Co. W. Trim proprietor. Wines & Spirits.
This pub was closed around 1907 when the new Victory Hotel...
Date: Before 1907
Image ID FL12_027_001
16. The "Dog and Pheasant" Inn, East Mersea - where the old yields pride of place to the new, as though wishing to retire, after so many centuries of service, from...
Image ID GWD_KIM_031
17. Victory Hotel on Coast Road, with its dance hall. The dance hall was burnt down about 1942. Postcard, mailed 25 May 1932.
Date: Before May 1932
Image ID IA004851
18. Inside the old Victory. John Milgate, Ernie Cudmore, William Wyatt, Ernie Wells, Zebedee Milgate, Sid Stoker, Herbert Welham, Charlie Mussett and Bob Burgess....
Date: Before 1906
Image ID JKE_VIC_001
19. The old Dog and Pheasant East Mersea. Postcard 101936.
Image ID LH4_010
20. Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea. 1980s?
Image ID LH4_011
21. Fountain Hotel, Queens Corner, now the site of Fountain Court.
It was built in 1912, replacing the earlier Fountain further along East Road near the Fox....
Image ID LH4_029
22. Victory Hotel - Ind Coope.
Image ID LH4_081
23. Sailing and Social Club, West Mersea. From a Christmas Card.
This was a popular meeting place for wildfowlers. Mrs Hone ran the club until her death in 1970...
Image ID LH50_013
24. Dog and Pheasant Pub, East Mersea. Trumans.
Image ID LH52_047
25. Fountain Hotel in the early 1950s. L-R Dorothy Aldous nee Walker, Pon Aldous (proprietors) and helpers.
Image ID LIN_021
26. Beautiful Mersea - Garden Farm Estate brochure. Page 22.
For Sale. Cheap. Three Freehold Villas in Fairhaven Avenue. C. Runcorn, Red Lion Square,...
Date: December 1909
Image ID MBK_BMS_024
27. West Mersea Official Guide. Page 5. Victory Hotel, proprietor H.A. Bleach. Dance Hall on the right - burnt down about 1942.
Image ID MD05_009
28. Victory Hotel with its dance hall. The dance hall was burnt down c1942. From Mersea Island Directory c1935.
Image ID MD05_010
29. West Mersea Official Guide. Page 34. White Hart Hotel. Proprietor P.C. Fahie. Telephone West Mersea 66.
Image ID MD05_047
30. Victory Hotel. Proprietors Mr & Mrs F.J. Madle. West Mersea Official Guide Page 20.
Image ID MD24_022