1. Long guns and tall tales. L-R Bob South, who killed nine Brent geese with one shot from a single 12-bore; 'Admiral' Bill Wyatt, aged eighty-one and still ...
Image ID BOX004_023_001
2. A party outside the Victory Inn, perhaps in Mersea to enjoy the Oyster Teas advertised by the Victory. The writing on the front of the Inn says Colchester ...
Date: Before July 1907
Image ID CBR_001
3. Alice Trim née Chatters. Her husband Bill was the last licensee at the Old Victory till about 1906, when they moved into the newly built present Victory. ...
Image ID CHS_007
4. The Fox. Colchester Brewing Co. Ltd. East Road, West Mersea. Postcard mailed June 1915.
Date: Before June 1915
Image ID CW6_041
5. Looking across the old oyster pits to Besom House, Victory Hotel and the Burma Road. Shed under construction.
Date: June 1988
Image ID DC1_054
6. Funeral of Mr H.T. Hone. The funeral took place on Wednesday, the vicar Rev. C. Pierrepont Edwards MC officiating, of Mr Herbert Thomas Hone of the Swan Hotel, ...
Date: 18 July 1942
Image ID DM1_AB3_020_019
7. Water in bottle of whisky. A bottle of whisky said to have contained 11 percent water led to an East Mersea licensee, John Scholey, of the Dog and Pheasant, ...
Date: 13 December 1946
Image ID DM2_AB10_069_001
8. Seed growing - view from Coast Road across to Church Road and White Hart.
Fair Haven Temperance Resort brochure. Page 10.
Image ID FAV_012_002
9. A darts match outing to Southend by the White Hart. Amon those present are Johnny Hempstead, Don Spurgeon, Charlie (Barman), Ron Pamment, Peter Green, Vic ...
Date: 2 September 1950
Image ID FL01_070_002
10. Photo taken in back room of British Legion Club about 1952.
Reg Jay, Maurice Jay, Sid Milgate, Jimmy Simmonds.
Jimmy Simmonds wearing American Air ...
Image ID FL03_027_002
11. White Hart Darts Club
L-R back Cyril 'Lizzie' Green, 'Alfie' ?, Hector Hewes, 'Daddy' ?, Alfie Mole, George Milgate, Stanley 'Bump' Farthing, Reg ...
Image ID FL05_042_001
12. Outside the White Hart after 12" of snow in 1958.
Ron Pamment, George Milgate, Cyril 'Lizzie' Green.
From Album 5.
Date: cFebruary 1958
Image ID FL05_042_002
13. At the Sailing and Social Club.
1. Bert 'Luvvy' Carter, 2. Oscar Whiting, 3. Frank Ashworth, 4. Dudley Cock, 5. Vincent Thorp, 6. Frederick Smith,
Image ID FL07_020_001
14. The Public Bar at the Fountain Pub. The pub was run by Major 'Pom' and Dorrie Aldous.
L-R Maurice Jay, Derek Whitelock, John Dixon, 'Hoilly Green, Maurice ...
Image ID FL08_066_001
15. The Public Bar at the Fountain Pub. The pub was run by Major 'Pom' and Dorrie Aldous.
Maurice Fletcher, Claude Green. Claude worked part time at Fountain ...
Image ID FL08_066_003
16. Fred Smith's bakers cart down the 'City End' by the old Victory. John Woods just visible on the left.
Wm Wyatt with brushes. Miss Smith and Miss Bagworth ...
Image ID FL10_007_001
17. White Hart Hotel from the church tower. This was probably at the time of the 1990 Lions Festival.
Photo by Don Procter.
From Album 12.
Image ID FL12_015_001
18. The Victory, old City, West Mersea. Colchester Brewing Co. W. Trim proprietor. Wines & Spirits.
This pub was closed around 1907 when the new Victory Hotel ...
Date: Before 1907
Image ID FL12_027_001
19. The "Dog and Pheasant" Inn, East Mersea - where the old yields pride of place to the new, as though wishing to retire, after so many centuries of service, from ...
Image ID GWD_KIM_031
20. Victory Hotel - winter 1962-63
Date: cFebruary 1963
Image ID HEM_OPA_033
21. Geof Hempstead holding bottle with Herbert Bishop. Dog & Pheasant.
Image ID HEM_OPA_039
22. Pon and Dorrie Aldous, landlord and landlady of Fountain, taken at back of Fountain. They are going to a Garden Party at Buckingham Palace. Pon was really ...
Image ID HEM_OPA_083
23. ARMOREL. Victory Hotel in the background
ARMOREL was owned by Mr Morton, a soft drinks manufacturer from Warwickshire. He also owned Shell Bungalow [ John ...
Image ID HEM_OPA_523
24. Two Tides Hotel, Seaview Avenue.
Image ID HWC_AB2_065
25. Victory Hotel on Coast Road, with its dance hall. The dance hall was burnt down about 9 August 1941. Postcard, mailed 25 May 1932.
Date: Before May 1932
Image ID IA004851
26. Jack Botham aerial photograph 3315. Fountain Hotel and Queens Corner.
Image ID JBA_577
27. Inside the old Victory. John Milgate, Ernie Cudmore, William Wyatt, Ernie Wells, Zebedee Milgate, Sid Stoker, Herbert Welham, Charlie Mussett and Bob Burgess. ...
Date: Before 1906
Image ID JKE_VIC_001
28. The old Dog and Pheasant East Mersea. Postcard 101936.
Image ID LH4_010
29. Dog and Pheasant, East Mersea. 1980s?
Image ID LH4_011
30. Fountain Hotel, Queens Corner, now the site of Fountain Court.
It was built in 1912, replacing the earlier Fountain further along East Road near the Fox. ...
Image ID LH4_029