1. Photograph from Joan Pullen. Sergeant in Royal Army Service Corps front right.
Date: April 1944
Image ID AN02_001_003
2. "With Best Wishes to Emmy, Rue and Joan from Geoff".
Geoff Green. The uniform is unusual in that there is no insignia. Geoff was a prisoner of war for some ...
Image ID AN04_004_005
3. North West Frontier 1942.
Sunday morning stroll in the Garrison wall.s
From H.D. Young, Captain.
Norman Ward spent time in Burma and India during ...
Image ID AN04_007_001
4. Army - Field Ambulance Corps. Norman Ward front left ? (no caption with photo.
Image ID AN12_019_001
5. Wedding of Sgt James Argent and Winifred Joan Mussett
L-R 1. Joan Pullen, 2. Elgar Mussett, 3. Valerie Farthing, 4. ?, 5. James Argent, 6. Joan Mussett, 7. ...
Date: 7 August 1943
Image ID AN13_016_005
6. Peace celebration street party after WW2, in Station Road, Tollesbury.
The car on the left is AEV271.
Image ID ATR_TBY_013
7. Essex at War, compiled by the Editorial Staff of Essex County Standard and edited by Hervey Benham.
There is also a copy of this in Hervey Benham cupboard ...
Image ID BOX005_009_C001
8. Girls of the Royal Observer Corps 18 group inspected by Air-Commodore Finlay Crerar, CBE (Commandant R.O.C.) at Birch aerodrome, on stand-down.
Date: July 1945
Image ID BOX005_009_P105
9. Women's Institute jam-makers at Birch.
From Essex at War by Hervey Benham, page 121.
This is in the kitchen at Birch Hall. See ...
Date: cDecember 1940
Image ID BOX005_009_P121
10. The oysterman George Stoker of West Mersea before the 'offoce' of the Stags Head Oyster Fishery Company. A wartime picture - there is barbed wire in the ...
From: Gaff Rig / Smacks
Image ID BOXB3_125_001_001
11. Passed by Technical Reproduction Branch 18 Dec 1942. No Admiralty Objection to publication, signed, Captain R.N. Wivenhoe. [from back of photograph]
Date: 18 Dec 1942
Image ID BOXB5_014_001
12. FY PT 1011 just afloat at Wivenhoe. The yard boat stands by to help with mooring ropes and later in removal of sliding ways, poppets and other timber structure ...
Image ID BOXB5_014_022
13. MMS 1012 [on back of photograph]
FY PT 1012 leaves the river Colne after completion and commissioning in 1943. The harbour party and an officer are ...
Date: c15 October 1943
Image ID BOXB5_014_024
14. A quiet interlude during war. Wooden motor minesweeper FY PT 1044 is towed to the fitting out berth after launch from Wivenhoe Shipyard Ltd., in 1943. The river ...
Date: 30 December 1943
Image ID BOXB5_014_026
15. During the War at Wivenhoe. Part of "Mulberry" in the making on the River Colne. [DW]
The projected invasion of Normandy in June 1944 needed the ...
Image ID BOXB5_014_028
16. Colchester Diving Club salvaging Typhoon which had ditched in the River Blackwater during WW2. The boat belongs to Derek 'Dink' Ball. Ashley Upsher in orange ...
Image ID CDC_TYP_001
17. Colchester Diving Club salvaging Typhoon which had ditched in the River Blackwater during WW2. A section of the wing resting on the mud. The conger eel was ...
Image ID CDC_TYP_019
18. Barfield Road Cemetery Plot 82.
Also his son Herbert John Cudmore killed on active service 21 December 1944 aged 43 (?) years.
Date: 30 July 2018
Image ID CEM_BFD_0082_001
19. Maldon Road, Tiptree. Junction with Station Road. WW2 Anti-invasion barriers beside the road.
Image ID CG27_015
20. Mrs Lawrence.
Pat and Fred.
May 1940 just before the evacuees were sent away from Mersea. [From back of photograph].
The girl on the right was ...
Date: May 1940
Image ID CHS_017
21. Layer de la Haye. V.E. Day. All available school children and mothers from the village.
Brian Chaplin says: I am child on the extreme of the photograph ...
Date: 6 May 1945
Image ID CLN_SCH_003
22. Bessie and Pip. The notes on the back say:
The Red Setter Pip was blown up mine 1943. There were mines set all along Beach during War 1939 to 1945. Pip got ...
Image ID CW2_P09_015
23. Grace Stoker nee Cudmore and Joyce Stoker outside the Old Victory.
Image ID DB01_018_005
24. Royal Observer Corp marching in the parade during Wings for Victory Week. Herbert Marrow is in the centre of the picture, in the centre of the leading ...
Date: 25 May 1943
Image ID DCA_001
25. Royal Observer Corp in Mersea during WW2. Major Maughfling and Bill Clarry operate a Post Instrument Plotter with a Mickelthwait height adjuster attachment. ...
Image ID DIS2010_WW2_011_001
26. Mersea Observer Corps sitting outside the church.
L-R Sid Stoker, Ernie Woods, Jack Mole, Dick Haward, young Richard Haward, Herbert Burgess, Vic Mussett, ...
Image ID DIS2010_WW2_011_002
27. 9 September 1939 The War.
Bert Saye begs to announce he is opening a business in Kingsland Road.
16 September 1939 Evacuation
A large ...
Date: 9 September 1939
Image ID DM1_AB2_067
28. Gunsite in Action. 1947!
The ammunition is soft drinks and ice cream; the "gun-crew" Mrs Stoker and Mrs Dawson. But the concrete walls of this unusual ...
Date: 27 June 1947
Image ID DM1_AB4_008_003
29. Once a strongpoint in West Mersea's defences against the Nazi invasion, this blockhouse is now a happy rendezvous for holidaymakers and local folk in search of ...
Date: 14 October 1949
Image ID DM1_AB4_021_003
30. Royal Artillery at Mersea.
Thought to be 373 Coast Defence Battery, who were at West Mersea from July 1940.
Front row L-R 6. is Sgt. Major Harry [ ...
Image ID DMC_001