1. Photograph from Joan Pullen. Sergeant in Royal Army Service Corps front right.
Date: April 1944
Image ID AN02_001_003
2. "With Best Wishes to Emmy, Rue and Joan from Geoff".
Geoff Green. The uniform is unusual in that there is no insignia. Geoff was a prisoner of war for some ...
Image ID AN04_004_005
3. North West Frontier 1942.
Sunday morning stroll in the Garrison wall.s
From H.D. Young, Captain.
Norman Ward spent time in Burma and India during ...
Image ID AN04_007_001
4. Army - Field Ambulance Corps. Norman Ward front left ? (no caption with photo.
Image ID AN12_019_001
5. Wedding of Sgt James Argent and Winifred Joan Mussett
L-R 1. Joan Pullen, 2. Elgar Mussett, 3. Valerie Farthing, 4. ?, 5. James Argent, 6. Joan Mussett, 7. ...
Date: 7 August 1943
Image ID AN13_016_005
6. Peace celebration street party after WW2, in Station Road, Tollesbury.
The car on the left is AEV271.
Date: cMay 1945
Image ID ATR_TBY_013
7. Essex at War, compiled by the Editorial Staff of Essex County Standard and edited by Hervey Benham.
There is also a copy of this in Hervey Benham cupboard ...
Image ID BOX005_009_C001
8. Girls of the Royal Observer Corps 18 group inspected by Air-Commodore Finlay Crerar, CBE (Commandant R.O.C.) at Birch aerodrome, on stand-down.
Date: July 1945
Image ID BOX005_009_P105
9. Women's Institute jam-makers at Birch.
From Essex at War by Hervey Benham, page 121.
This is in the kitchen at Birch Hall. See ...
Date: cDecember 1940
Image ID BOX005_009_P121
10. The oysterman George Stoker of West Mersea before the 'offoce' of the Stags Head Oyster Fishery Company. A wartime picture - there is barbed wire in the ...
From: Gaff Rig / Smacks
Image ID BOXB3_125_001_001
11. Passed by Technical Reproduction Branch 18 Dec 1942. No Admiralty Objection to publication, signed, Captain R.N. Wivenhoe. [from back of photograph]
Date: 18 Dec 1942
Image ID BOXB5_014_001
12. FY PT 1011 just afloat at Wivenhoe. The yard boat stands by to help with mooring ropes and later in removal of sliding ways, poppets and other timber structure ...
Image ID BOXB5_014_022
13. MMS 1012 [on back of photograph]
FY PT 1012 leaves the river Colne after completion and commissioning in 1943. The harbour party and an officer are ...
Date: c15 October 1943
Image ID BOXB5_014_024
14. A quiet interlude during war. Wooden motor minesweeper FY PT 1044 is towed to the fitting out berth after launch from Wivenhoe Shipyard Ltd., in 1943. The river ...
Date: 30 December 1943
Image ID BOXB5_014_026
15. During the War at Wivenhoe. Part of "Mulberry" in the making on the River Colne. [DW]
The projected invasion of Normandy in June 1944 needed the ...
Image ID BOXB5_014_028
16. Colchester Diving Club salvaging Typhoon which had ditched in the River Blackwater during WW2. The boat belongs to Derek 'Dink' Ball. Ashley Upsher in orange ...
Image ID CDC_TYP_001
17. Colchester Diving Club salvaging Typhoon which had ditched in the River Blackwater during WW2. The engine was brought up first. The Napier Sabre engine was sold ...
Image ID CDC_TYP_005
18. Colchester Diving Club salvaging Typhoon which had ditched in the River Blackwater during WW2. A section of the wing resting on the mud. The conger eel was ...
Image ID CDC_TYP_019
19. Barfield Road Cemetery Plot 82.
Dear Husband Robert Charles Cudmore who died 24 October 1933 aged 57 years
Also of his dear wife Ruth Cudmore who died ...
Date: 19 September 2019
Image ID CEM_BFD_0082_001
20. In Loving Memory of My Dear Wife
NORAH AGNES TALES
who passed away 14 November 1928 aged 37 years
Also Flight-Sergt JAMES TALES, R.A.F., son of ...
Date: 11 November 2019
Image ID CEM_BFD_0216_001
21. Ida Lilian Pavey Born 20 Sep 1886, died 26 May 1973
Wife and Mother
Ida South née Adnams
Born 1 Feb 1921 Died 24 Feb ...
Date: 21 September 2019
Image ID CEM_BFD_0489_001
22. Grave of Frank Pullen, Barfield Road Cemetery Plot 974.
Corps of Military Police
Image ID CEM_BFD_0974_001
23. Maldon Road, Tiptree. Junction with Station Road. WW2 Anti-invasion barriers beside the road.
Image ID CG27_015
24. Mrs Lawrence.
Pat and Fred.
May 1940 just before the evacuees were sent away from Mersea. [From back of photograph - presumably referring to two ...
Date: May 1940
Image ID CHS_017
25. Layer de la Haye. V.E. Day. All available school children and mothers from the village.
Brian Chaplin says: I am child on the extreme of the photograph ...
Date: 6 May 1945
Image ID CLN_SCH_003
26. Bessie and Pip. The notes on the back say:
The Red Setter Pip was blown up mine 1943. There were mines set all along Beach during War 1939 to 1945. Pip got ...
Image ID CW2_P09_015
27. Grace Stoker née Cudmore and Joyce Stoker outside the Old Victory.
Image ID DB01_018_005
28. Royal Observer Corp marching in the parade during Wings for Victory Week. Herbert Marrow is in the centre of the picture, in the centre of the leading ...
Date: 25 May 1943
Image ID DCA_001
29. Royal Observer Corp in Mersea during WW2. Major Maughfling and Bill Clarry operate a Post Instrument Plotter with a Mickelthwait height adjuster attachment. ...
Image ID DIS2010_WW2_011_001
30. Mersea Observer Corps sitting outside the church.
L-R Sid Stoker, Ernie Woods, Jack Mole, Dick Haward, young Richard Haward, Herbert Burgess, Vic Mussett, ...
Image ID DIS2010_WW2_011_002