1. West Mersea Fire Brigade's team of five who won the Essex County Brigade's quiz for Retained Firemen in Chelmsford.
L-R Gordon Allen, Alec Garnham, Joe...
Date: 17 February 1958
Image ID ALN_FIR_015
2. West Mersea Fire Brigade - Fordson Thames fire engine GLC534 being replaced with the new Dodge 758JNO. Photograph at the Fire Station in Melrose Road.
Date: April 1957
Image ID ALN_JNO_001
3. West Mersea Fire Brigade - Fordson Thames fire engine GLC534 being replaced with new Dodge 758JNO. Outside the Melrose Road Fire Station.
L-R 1. Oscar...
Date: April 1957
Image ID ALN_JNO_003
4. West Mersea Fire Brigade - Fordson Thames fire engine GLC534 being replaced with the new Dodge 758JNO.
Date: April 1957
Image ID ALN_JNO_007
5. Penfold's DIY, Barfield Road, West Mersea, formerly Clifford White Builders.
At the height of the blaze 5 fire appliances and an aerial ladder from Colchester...
Date: 20 April 1999
Image ID DIS2006_FIR_N07
6. 1998 Dennis Sabre Fire Appliance
R141 WVX was delivered to West Mersea fire station on the 4th October 2003. It had been at the station three weeks...
Date: March 2006
Image ID DIS2006_FIR_N23
7. It was a night out for Mersea firemen at the Hall Barn on Saturday, when they held their annual dinner. Before the meal there was time for a chat and a drink,...
Date: 13 February 1959
Image ID DM1_AB5_022_003
8. West Mersea Volunteer Fire Brigade. Left Mr Cathercole, Horace Whiting, Herbert Burgess.
Right Gordon Mussett, Gunner Burgess, Alec Green
The cart is...
Image ID FL04_033_002
9. West Mersea Firemen marching in Armistice Day Parade, outside the Griffon Garage.
Roughly L-R 'Ike' Ivan King, Les Phillips, Len Coles, Horace Whiting,...
Image ID FL04_035_001
10. The Fire Brigade parade at the funeral of Gordon Mussett at West Mersea.
The parade includes Oscar Whiting, Jim Mussett, Claude Green, Godfrey...
Date: October 1952
Image ID FL04_035_002
11. West Mersea Fire Brigade - the wartime AFS fire engine.
L-R Oscar Whiting, Ernie Dixon, Gordon Mussett, Bob Russell, HoraceWhiting and Bob...
Image ID FL04_038_001
12. West Mersea Fire Brigade. The fire engine is an American car (Hudson Terraplane) converted with a wooden back, for Fire Service use.
L-R Gordon Mussett,...
Image ID FL04_038_002
13. 1944 wartime NFS Fire engine. L-R Hodge ( Arthur John ) Hewes, Ron Farrow from Copford, Dick Howard, Oscar Whiting, Ted Wright of Wrights Haulage.
Image ID FL04_039_001
14. West Mersea Fire Brigade - Oscar Whiting receiving his reitrement present. He had served for 36 years.
L-R 'Chummy' Mole, Les Greenleaf, Ron Clamp or Bill...
Image ID FL07_019_003
15. Houseboat Fire. The houseboat ERYCINA at present occupied by Mrs Garrioch and her sister Mrs Goddard, was extensively damaged by fire on Monday afternoon. The...
Date: 27 October 1941
Image ID FL14_013_009
16. An early 1930s Carnival at Queens Corner passing the Cartwright's Shed, Fountain Hotel (both demolished to build Fountain Court) and Fountain Cottage.
Image ID HAN_FIR_001
17. Mersea Firemen trying new helmets.
L-R back 1. Horace Whiting, 2. Jack Cook, 3. Edgar Jopson, 4. Cliff Smith, 5. Cather Cole, 6. Tim Mole, 7. Gordon...
Date: Before 1935
Image ID HAN_FIR_007
18. A fireman's wedding. Gordon Mussett and Catherine Heywood leave St. Peter and St. Paul Church after their marriage on 8 March 1930. Gordon's fellow West Mersea...
Date: 8 March 1930
Image ID HAN_FIR_009
19. Mr H. Burgess and Mr K. Ham, both of Mersea Avenue chop firewood to be distributed by Friends of Mersea to the elderly.
Mr Burgess was founder member of...
Image ID HH01_020_009
20. West Mersea Fire Brigade. This engine was probably a Merryweather. It was bought by public subscription through local fetes, dances etc.
Back row Drummer...
Image ID LH17_FIRE_021
21. World War 2 Mersea Firemen Victory Parade Names.
L-R Alan Lee, Cliff Smith, Chippy Pullen [behind Cliff Smith], Gordon Mussett (David's father), Hodge...
Image ID LH17_FIRE_023
22. Beetle back Dodge Fire Engine 758JNO attending a fire in Jack Botham's kitchen in Coast Road. Howard's Stores in Church Road is in the background.
Image ID LH17_FIRE_072
23. Fire Brigade c1939 in Melrose Road (back of Chatters). Gordon Mussett, Herbert Burgess, Edgar Jopson, Ernie Dixon.
Image ID LH60_019
24. Fire Brigade. Dennis fire engine LWC712J.
Image ID LH60_029
25. West Mersea Volunteer Fire Brigade c1929 - Horry Whitings backyard (opposite Bamborough's chemist)
L-R Jack Cook, Edgar Jopson, Gordon Mussett, Arthur...
Image ID MB02_001
26. Fire Brigade c1938 outside Melrose Road station.
L-R Jack Cook, Gordon Mussett, Arthur Mills, Edgar Jopson, Ernie Dixon, Herbert Burgess, Jack Harvey, Alec...
Image ID MB02_002
27. Mistral. Journal of the Mersea Island Society 1971 / 1972. Page 18.
About our Fire Brigade, by Doreen Fox
The Mersea Fire Brigade is about to move...
Image ID MIS_1972_020
28. Mistral. Journal of the Mersea Island Society 1971 / 1972. Page 19.
To date the largest number of fires...
About our Fire Brigade by Doreen Fox contd.
Image ID MIS_1972_021
29. Mistral. Journal of the Mersea Island Society. January 1989. Page 33.
Emergency !!! - Kathleen Haines talks to David Mussett about the Fire and Rescue...
Date: January 1989
Image ID MIS_1989_041
30. Mistral. Journal of the Mersea Island Society. January 1989. Page 34.
Emergency !!! by Kathleen Haines.
David Mussett was awarded the British Empire...
Date: January 1989
Image ID MIS_1989_042