151. Barge ABERDEEN. Official No. 98795, built Sittingbourne 1890. From a collection of Wills & Packham photographs.
Image ID CW01_006
152. Unidentified barge loading bricks. From a collection of Wills & Packham photographs.
Image ID CW01_007
153. The Strood. Barge VICTA, looking somewhat derelict.
VICTA built 1874, Official No. 67085, formerly & CO.
Image ID DBO_017
154. Barge on the River Colne near Colchester.
Not identified, but Ron Green writes:
One of Paul's by the X in the topsail.
It's one of their 'Rivers' ...
Date: Before 1939
Image ID DBO_202
155. Sailing barge CENTAUR at Harvey's Brewery Wharf, Lewes.
Photograph courtesy of Miles Jenner of Harvey's Brewery, Lewes.
Image ID DHD_003
156. Motor barge H.T. WILLS unloading coal at the small electric power station at Maidstone. H.T. WILLS was built Sittingbourne 1889 for Wills and Packham. Official ...
Image ID DMT_HTW_001
157. THYRA and H.T. WILLS at New Hythe, Kent.
THYRA was unloading paper pulp - the photo was taken by John Eastman, who was her mate at the time and has the date ...
Date: 17 March 1962
Image ID DMT_HTW_003
158. Sailing barge CLIFF loading hay on Mersea Hard. Registered Ipswich and built Ipswich 1858, probably by Bayley. Main owner J Cobbold Ipswich. Official No. ...
Image ID DP090001
159. LEOFLEDA under way. From Voyage. A trip in an Essex barge from Colchester to the Royal Docks.
From Essex Countryside Dec/Jan 1958/59 page 116.
Date: December 1958
Image ID EC58_012_116_001
160. Looking over the Ray towards Mersea from the Strood - "an extensive marshy tract veined and flecked in every part with water. At high tide the appearance is ...
Date: Before September 1963
Image ID EC63_09_474_004
161. From Sailing Ships Through the Ages - drawings by F.B. Harnack. Page 54.
The tan-sailed spritsail barge is one of the few surviving ...
Image ID FID_001_105
162. 'Ces' Hewes at the wheel of barge LADY GWYNFRED.
From Album 3.
Image ID FL03_034_001
163. Barge LADY GWYNFRED of London.
From Album 3.
Image ID FL03_034_002
164. Barge LADY GWYNFRED at Maldon.
From Album 3.
Image ID FL03_035_001
165. Fred Pullen & Sister Muriel with Edna on the THOMA II. From Muriel Butcher then Titford (née Pullen).
The Edna is Edna Maud Green. THOMA II is ...
Image ID HAY_BUT_088
166. Barge yacht THOMA II.
Image ID HAY_HUH_030
167. Fred Pullen on THOMA II.
Image ID HAY_HUH_046
168. German timber ship ALWINE RUSS unloading onto barges in the River Blackwater. The timber would then be taken on the barges to Maldon, or to Heybridge Basin and ...
Image ID HBC_001_003
169. MIROSA in use as a timber lighter at Heybridge Basin.
Image ID HBC_001_004
170. Swimmie or swim-head barge
Image ID HBC_001_012
171. Dutch-build Barge SAINT EANSWYTHE in Harwich Harbour. Shotley in background She took acid in barrels to Brantham Works. Mustograph photograph.
Used in Down ...
Image ID HBC_001_014
172. Barge HYACINTH in nearly her last resting place at Tollesbury late 1930s. The remains were removed to build Tollesbury Marina. Motor yacht ALDIC on the right.
Image ID HBC_001_015
173. LANCASHIRE at Mersea Strood. "Tubby Blake's yacht". Official No. 112734. Kershaw photo.
LANCASHIRE was built Conyer 1900 for Eastwoods and by 1953 was ...
Image ID HBC_002_001
174. Barge loading or unloading with lorries at Mersea Strood.
Image ID HBC_002_002
175. ETHEL MAUD at Mersea Regatta 1940s.
Used in Down Tops'l page 80.
Image ID HBC_002_004
176. Study on the Colne of Barges, an oyster boat, and pleasure boats. Launch on the left is GRETA R.M.Y.C. Douglas Went photograph.
Date: Before July 1939
Image ID HBC_003_002
177. Barge DAWN at Colchester Hythe c1901. Charles and Daniel Hales, the local hufflers, are walking and hauling on a light line made fast to the mast.
Used in ...
Image ID HBC_004_002
178. Hervey Benham talking to barge skipper at Colchester Hythe. Probably barge VERONICA. The barge skipper is thought to be Jack Nunn.
Moler Works in ...
Date: Before 1956
Image ID HBC_004_006
179. Hervey Benham talking to barge skipper at Colchester Hythe. Barge is unloading timber and is probably VERONICA. The barge skipper is thought to be Jack Nunn.
Image ID HBC_004_007
180. Sailing barge LADY HELEN towing away from Colchester Hythe. Official No. 114844.
Image ID HBC_004_008