31. Harvesting. The binder is being towed by an impressive car with two ladies as passengers.
Image ID DW15_015
Image ID DW15_017
33. Carting the hay harvest off Great Bentley green. The village boys take a great interest in the work, particularly as horses are so seldom used ...
Date: December 1961
Image ID EC61_12_068_002
34. Sheep grazing at eventide on Great Bentley Hall Farm. A study from Douglas Went.
Essex Countryside magazine, July 1964.
Image ID EC64_07_413
35. Seed growing - view from Coast Road to Church and Yew Tree House. Photo by Mr B. Charles.
Fair Haven Temperance Resort brochure. Page 10.
Image ID FAV_012_003
36. Bean Family History by Willoughby John Bean
yard manure, Cattle were fattened on bean meal, pigs on barley meal, no oilcake, no artificial manures, ...
Image ID FBP_040
37. Moor Farm, Colchester Road, Peldon. At one time up to 500 Indian Runner Ducks were kept on the pond. It is now filled in.
Image ID FL03_012_001
38. Tess helping to bring home the harvest driving a Case Model D tractor.
Phil Nicholas, Edward Martin, ? Ernie Mole, Will Nicholas, 'Hoppy' ...
Image ID FL03_013_002
39. Ted Martin operating a 'Wiles' motor plough. This was made before 1918.
From Album 3.
Image ID FL03_014_001
40. Ruby (a Suffolk) ? Fred Sales Farrier ?
From Album 3.
Image ID FL03_014_002
41. 'Polly', Edward Martin, Ernie Mole (Peldon)
'Polly' was given to Ted Martin by Fred and Beat Cudmore (Mersea carriers) on the understanding that when it ...
Image ID FL03_015_001
42. International 10.20 with Nicholas.
From Album 3.
Image ID FL03_015_002
43. Picture taken about 1948 on fields at the top of Brierley Avenue, which was the new venue for ploughing matches after the second world war.
The 2008 ...
Image ID FL08_033_003
44. Mersea Seed Growers in WW1, outside Bocking Hall.
L-R 1. Lucy Hoy, 2., 3. Tot Green née Hewes (Heck's mother), 4. ?, 5. Mable Benns, 6., ...
Image ID FL10_029_001
45. Ladies working on the land, each with their hooks.
Left is Hazel Green née Hoy [ Heather and Jennifer's mother ]. Right is Hos Hoy's ...
Image ID FL12_011_005
46. Farming - on the cart are Sam Webb & Charlie Mole. Ground Bill Jenkins, Page? Mrs Will Simmons (mother of Pip) driving. On Simmons (Sadlers) field, just post ...
Image ID FL14_003
47. Land Girls. Back Lily, Joan Pullen (Mrs Ward) [but back of photo is crossed out and says "Clair"], Elsie. Front Edie and Doris. The field is now Windsor Road, ...
Image ID GRD_LAN_003
48. Land Girls. Bert Wright,
Front L-R Doris, Lil.
Back Kath, Bert Wright, Mona, Elsie.
Image ID GRD_LAN_007
49. Land Girls during threshing at East Hall Farm. The cart belongs to J. Austin.
Image ID GRD_LAN_009
50. Albert Green (David's father), with the pigs at Waldegraves Farm, Mersea. Albert worked there for many years. The lady is not known.
They are working on ...
Image ID GRD_LAN_025
51. Lucy and Ivy Hoy in the Land Army in World War 1, and on the horse is their father Henry (Harry) Hoy.
Image ID HH06_301
52. Cecil Mussett and Vic Sams, about 1944 when Cecil was 14. Raspberry and blackcurrant bushes. View looking northwest from Vic Sams' fields in Chapmans Lane to ...
Image ID IA1_MUS_560
53. Vic Sams and Cecil Mussett --- Chapman's Lane where Vic grew seeds and in the early days, also kept goats and sold the milk. Cecil worked for Vic for almost 30 ...
Date: May 1949
Image ID IA1_MUS_561
54. Cecil Mussett at Chapmans Lane where he worked for Vic Sams. He has a goat in his right hand, a dog in his left hand and another goat by his feet. In the early ...
Date: May 1949
Image ID IA1_MUS_562
55. Tedding the hay crop, Cudmore Grove - turning it to dry in the sun.
Used in the Mistral, 1999.
Date: July 1998
Image ID JCN_005
56. Ploughing Match on fields at the top of Brierley Avenue. This was the new venue for ploughing matches after WW2. Amongst the spectators are
Police Constable ...
Image ID JCN_012
57. Cutting hay from a stack - it will be put into the press (to the left of the stack) and made into trusses for carriage. Wilfred Francis on the stack, and his ...
Image ID KBA_HAY_001
58. Cutting hay from the stack on the right, and pressing into trusses using the press in the centre. The trusses are stacked on the left - lady on top is unknown ...
Image ID KBA_HAY_003
59. Well House Farm. - Dated approx. turn of the Century. pics from Mary Little , Ernie Mole's daughter, Broomfield
Image ID LTL_001
60. Horse Ploughing. In this picture of quieter and slower farming days, the plough-man carves a single furrow as he controls his pair of heavy horses. The view is ...
Image ID MBK_TPT_046_002