61. The first Tollesbury volunteers. Postcard.
This photograph, taken outside the King's Head at Tollesbury, shows the first men from that village to volunteer ...
Date: 7 September 1914
Image ID CG10_613
62. Bidding the Tollesbury Boys God Speed. Postcard.
Date: 7 September 1914
Image ID CG10_617
63. Tollesbury Detachment. W.J. Juniper back row, 5th from left. Postcard.
Used in More from Tollesbury Past plate 56, which says the army detachment is ...
Image ID CG10_621
64. Bonfire for Peace Celebrations, Tollesbury. Postcard.
Image ID CG10_623
65. Church Parade, Tollesbury. Postcard.
Image ID CG10_625
66. Church Parade, Tollesbury. Postcard.
Image ID CG10_627
67. Fred Harry Chatters, M/2 055360 Pte., 22 Fld. Amb., M.T. A.S.C.
On return from WW1, Fred became a driver with the Primrose Bus Company and went on with ...
Image ID CHS_003
68. Emmie and Tom (David John) Clarry.
17 July 1919 David John Clarry married Emily Gertrude Trim at West Mersea Parish Church. David John's occupation is ...
Image ID CHS_005
69. The War Memorial at Layer Cross, Layer de la Haye. It is a large gathering with a band in the background, and is thought to be for the dedication of the War ...
Image ID CLN_LDH_001
70. Men with the Colours from West Mersea
Date: 31 October 1914
Image ID CTC_021
71. West Mersea men serving with the Colours
Date: 14 November 1914
Image ID CTC_041
72. More Men with the Colours
Date: 5 December 1914
Image ID CTC_051
73. From Your loving Grandson Archie. 1916.
Archibald George Oliver (born Swansea 1897) nephew of Emily Brown (nee Oliver).
Service number 900/745670 ...
Image ID DB11_021
74. "With Best Love, Sid. 8:3:17"
[1918 Absent Voter list gives Sidney Stoker as 87829 Pte., 11th King's Liverpools]
Date: 8 March 1917
Image ID DB13_019
75. Horace Mole on the right. Left unknown. Photograph by A.L. West & Co., Winchester.
Stephen Horace Mole was in 2nd Battalion 'The Rifles' (The Prince ...
Image ID DPR_001
76. Horace Mole. Stephen Horace Mole was in 2nd Battalion 'The Rifles' (The Prince Consorts Own ), Rfn 3581, enlisted 30 December 1909 and discharged 2 February ...
Image ID DPR_003
77. Harold Leighton Procter.
The Jan 1918 Absent Voters list has Harold as a Midshipman on HMS ARROGANT.
The 1919 list has him as a Sub Lieutenant on ...
Image ID DPR_005
78. Robert Appleton Account book. Summer Work 1916.
6 July 1916 Robert went to Whitehall and got a berth as mate of 'Tug Alice' for Malta. 7 July left for ...
Date: 6 July 1916
Image ID DWS_APQ_017
79. One of the gondolas of Zeppelin L33 which came down on Little Wigborough September 1916. A portion of the superstructure has been cut away: originally it ...
Date: c24 September 1916
Image ID EAM_1953_003_P285_001
80. East Mersea Post - Army Duty Roster. 16 December 1916 to 19 December 1916.
9.45pm Sentry reported fire about 400 yds. On investigation it proved to be a ...
Date: 17 December 1916
Image ID EMB_005
81. Army at Port Bower on Yorick Road during WW1. L-R Gert French, Ethel French, Billy French, Alice Hewes, Norah French (née Gant) Bert French.
Mr & ...
Image ID FL02_046_002
82. "Wartime" 1917 Mersea Isle. Snuffy Cornelius's cycle shop on Kingsland Road, now RST Motors.
Frank Cornelius, Mabel Tiffin (lived over the road in what in ...
Image ID FL02_058_001
83. Ernie Mussett, 1919, Iraq. He worked for Appleby the Mersea butcher.
From Album 3.
Image ID FL03_025_001
84. Mr Henry Pullen, brother of Mrs Tom 'Boss' Mole. Killed in action 1914/18 War.
Henry William Pullen was born 1877, son of Henry William and Julia ...
Image ID FL05_028_003
85. Mersea Seed Growers in WW1, outside Bocking Hall.
L-R 1. Lucy Hoy, 2., 3. Tot Green née Hewes (Heck's mother), 4. ?, 5. Mable Benns, 6., ...
Image ID FL10_029_001
86. Mr Fred Sales, father of Reg, Tom, Alfred, Walter and Doris. Fred was a farrier on the Island.
From Album 10.
Image ID FL10_043_001
87. Tom Marriage 26 June 1896 to 5 May 1896.
Wounded Arras April 3rd 1917. Left leg amputated 19th April. Died May 5th 1917.
Laid to rest May 6th in the ...
Image ID GCL_TMA_001
88. Albert Arthur Lee, Private 85813, Machine Gun Corps.
Enlisted Colchester 11 May 1916
Wounded at Ypres and discharged from Army 8 April 1916
Date: cMay 1916
Image ID GGL_001
89. In Memory of Sergeant George Walter Hewes.
515, 54th Bn, Australian Infantry, A.I.F., who died on 20 July 1916.
Remembered with Honour ...
Date: 20 July 1916
Image ID GWH_ROH_004
90. Another Ripley Territorial Killed. Pte Edward Parkin killed in action 5 October 1918. His wife resides in Essex, the parties being married whilst Parkin was in ...
Date: 5 October 1918
Image ID HAN_RUS_011