91. One is George Penny.
Image ID HAY_CHUM_060
92. Lance Corporal A.R. Hewes, of the Essex Regiment (a native of Mersea) has been wounded in the recent fighting in France and is now in the London General ...
Image ID HAY_CHUM_080
93. Chum Hewes arrowed. Essex County Telegraph 22 July 1916.
Date: 22 July 1916
Image ID HAY_CHUM_086
94. Chum Hewes - with the cross above his head. 1918 ish.
Image ID HAY_CHUM_090
95. Unknown heroes
Image ID HAY_CHUM_094
96. Pullen family.
Image ID HAY_PUL_040
97. Barge TINTARA. Official No. 102817.
TINTARA was interned at Remagen on the Rhine during WW1.
She was crewed by the Norton family from Brightlingsea. The ...
Date: 13 June 1936
Image ID HBC_009_003
98. William and George Hoy. Taken while on his last leave. Killed in Action.
Ivy Hoy, Haycock's Farm, East Mersea Essex. The one side face is the one which ...
Date: 24 September 1916
Image ID HH04_HOY_001
99. From loving brother Willie to Lucy [ written on back of photograph ]
William Hoy was killed 17 February 1917 at the Battle of the Somme.
Image ID HH04_HOY_003
100. Harris William Hoy WW1 notebook. Bullett hole upper right.
Image ID HOY_BK1_001
101. Harris William Hoy WW1 notebook.
Pte F.N. Pullen
293.6 10th Essex Regt,
? Coy 3 Platoon
9585 Pte J. Green,
Image ID HOY_BK1_055
102. Harris William Hoy WW1 notebook.
Mrs H. Hoy,
Able Seaman E. Hoy [Ernest ...
Image ID HOY_BK1_056
103. Harris William Hoy WW1 notebook. [back page - cover missing]
2967 Pt H. Hoy Essex Regiment [crossed out]
A/200880 Pte H. Hoy
Image ID HOY_BK1_058
104. Army Prayer Book - from Harris William Hoy
Image ID HOY_BK2_001
105. Harris William Hoy WW1 notebook.
If found Please Return
c/o Mrs H. Hoy, Haycocks Farm, East Mersea, Essex, England.
The hole top left is a bullet ...
Image ID HOY_BK2_002
106. Members of the regular company take it easy on the deck of the yacht L'ESPERANCE which is lying on the Hard awaiting removal of her lead keel before being put ...
Image ID IA01_441
107. Barfield Road Cemetery. Names of local men lost 1914 to 1918. Banners built by Steve Green. Red woollen poppies made by the Royal British Legion Women's ...
Date: 28 August 2018
Image ID IA01_815
108. L-R back 1. Charlie Woods, 2. John Chatters, 3. Hannah Chatters (mother of Charlie senior), 4. Edwin Chatters, 5. Charles Chatters.
Front 1. Charlie Woods ...
Image ID JNY_OPA_009
109. Richard Francis - Grandfather of Kay Francis. Born c1883.
After WW1, Richard was a farm worker in Salcott, and also worked on the building of Abberton ...
Image ID KBA_PPL_111
110. The back of this post card says 'Peace day July 18th 1919'.
Photograph taken in the school - the school log book for 21 July 1919 says "School closed to ...
Date: 18 July 1919
Image ID LIL_SCH_001
111. Titled 'some of the lads from the village' - Mussetts ?
Image ID MIL_OPA_071
112. Thought to be John Catt.
From the Estate of Mrs Mary Catt.
Image ID MMC_P1077F_016_001
113. Royal Navy group photograph. This is probably the Royal Navy Experimental Station at Stratford in WW1. One of the men is probably John Catt.
From the ...
Image ID MMC_P1077F_016_005
114. Lights. Mrs Arthur Bean of West Mersea, summoned for not obsuring lights at her house.
Mrs Helen Witholme of Highfields, Wesst Mersea for showing lights ...
Date: 31 August 1917
Image ID MMN_1917_017
115. World War 1. 2nd Battalion 'The Rifles' (The Prince Consorts Own). Cleaning rifles.
Fred Peters Rfn 3955 is 3rd from right back row. Stephen Horace Mole is ...
Image ID MPR_SHM_001
116. 2nd Battalion 'The Rifles' (The Prince Consorts Own). Fred peeling potatoes.
Fred Peters is 5th from left standing. Steven Horace Mole is 3rd from right.
Image ID MPR_SHM_003
117. Some of the crew of HMS INDUSTRY. The vessel was sunk in the Irish Sea 18 October 1918. 20 men were lost, including 6 men from Mersea Island.
Middle row ...
Date: Before 18 October 1918
Image ID MPUB_NJN_AJM_001
118. Not Just a Name - Erratum page 1 of 2.
Correction to pages 12 to 15. The Albert Jordan who was killed at Gallipoli 6 August 1915 was not connected with ...
Date: 18 October 1918
Image ID MPUB_NJN_ERR_001
119. Not Just a Name - Erratum continued
Correction to pages 12 to 15, describing Albert Ernest Jordan
Date: 18 October 1918
Image ID MPUB_NJN_ERR_002
120. Private Arthur Wade from Birch (sitting).
Arthur Wade was killed at the Somme 9 July 1916
Photograph from Not Just a Name, page 42.
Arthur Wade ...
Image ID MPUB_NJN_P042_001