31. Royal Observer Corp marching in the parade during Wings for Victory Week. Herbert Marrow is in the centre of the picture, in the centre of the leading ...
Date: 23 May 1943
Image ID DCA_001
32. Royal Observer Corp in Mersea during WW2. Major Maughfling and Bill Clarry operate a Post Instrument Plotter with a Mickelthwait height adjuster attachment. ...
Image ID DIS2010_WW2_011_001
33. Mersea Observer Corps sitting outside the church.
L-R Sid Stoker, Ernie Woods, Jack Mole, Dick Haward, young Richard Haward, Herbert Burgess, Vic Mussett, ...
Image ID DIS2010_WW2_011_002
34. What you are to do in case of invasion or heavy bombing.
Information sheet from West Mersea Urban District Council, page 1 of 4.
Report Centre ...
Image ID DIS2010_WW2_031
35. What you are to do in case of invasion or heavy bombing.
Information sheet from West Mersea Urban District Council, page 2 of 4.
Milk and bread ...
Image ID DIS2010_WW2_032
36. What you are to do in case of invasion or heavy bombing.
Information sheet from West Mersea Urban District Council, page 3 of 4.
Image ID DIS2010_WW2_033
37. What you are to do in case of invasion or heavy bombing.
Information sheet from West Mersea Urban District Council, page 4 of 4.
Help to Military - ...
Image ID DIS2010_WW2_034
38. 9 September 1939 The War.
Bert Saye begs to announce he is opening a business in Kingsland Road.
16 September 1939 Evacuation
A large ...
Date: 9 September 1939
Image ID DM1_AB2_067
39. Holidays - Mersea enjoyed wonderful days of sunshine over the holidays, and although many of its activities were restricted, this did not detract the children ...
Date: 10 August 1940
Image ID DM1_AB3_008_002
40. The Spitfire Fund - A local effort to help the Spitfire Fund has been started, and Mersea is going to see what can be done about it. Mrs Tapp, of the "Firs" has ...
Date: 31 August 1940
Image ID DM1_AB3_008_005
41. Funeral of Mr D.B. Cutts
Widespread scenes of sympathy attended the funeral of Mr Douglas (Jim) Cutts, which took place on Saturday afternoon. Officials ...
Date: 10 May 1941
Image ID DM1_AB3_013_007
42. Death of Pilot Officer
News has been received of the death of Pilot Officer Donald Dale, only son of Mrs Dale and the late Mr Arthur Dale, of Walnut Tree ...
Date: 6 September 1941
Image ID DM1_AB3_016_009
43. Under the Plough - for the first time in history, Pete Tye Common lying between Peldon and Abberton has come under the plough.
Death of Miss A.M. ...
Date: 6 June 1942
Image ID DM1_AB3_020_005
44. Obituary. Funeral of Accident Victims.
The funeral of Mr and Mrs Horace Stoker, whose tragic death occurred last week as the result of an accident, took ...
Date: cJune 1942
Image ID DM1_AB3_020_011
45. Killed in Action. It is with regret we record the death of Peter Jack Martin (boy first-class) who was killed in action when his ship was damaged by enemy ...
Date: 31 October 1942
Image ID DM1_AB3_023_001
46. Gunsite in Action. 1947!
The ammunition is soft drinks and ice cream; the "gun-crew" Mrs Stoker and Mrs Dawson. But the concrete walls of this unusual ...
Date: 27 June 1947
Image ID DM1_AB4_008_003
47. Once a strongpoint in West Mersea's defences against the Nazi invasion, this blockhouse is now a happy rendezvous for holidaymakers and local folk in search of ...
Date: 14 October 1949
Image ID DM1_AB4_021_003
48. Royal Artillery at Mersea.
Thought to be 373 Coast Defence Battery, who were at West Mersea from July 1940.
Front row L-R 6. is Sgt. Major Harry [ ...
Image ID DMC_001
49. The skeleton of a war-time pillbox on Victoria Esplanade marks the spot where Edwardian planners had envisaged a pier.
From "An Urban Dream of Mersea", ...
Date: 3 May 1968
Image ID ECS_1968_MAY03_032_003
50. Youngest of the Few: Historian uncovers story of Mersea teenager killed in Battle of Britain. By Charley Goff.
The youngest pilot to fly in the Battle ...
Date: 21 September 2018
Image ID ECS_2018_SEP21_024
51. Frederick Bertrand Harnack RSMA God Bless Him 17 yrs (LRB) stretcher bearer RNVR Lt at 45 in 1942.
Used in Fid Harnack RSMA, published by Mersea Island ...
Image ID FID_003_055
52. Zebedee Milgate, George Milgate, Johnny Hempstead (Mechanic), Sid Milgate (Painter).
Picture taken at the bottom of Kingsland Road near Stoker's Cafe ( ...
Date: cAugust 1946
Image ID FL01_069_001
53. West Mersea Fire Brigade - the wartime AFS fire engine.
L-R Oscar Whiting, Ernie Dixon, Gordon Mussett, Bob Russell, HoraceWhiting and Bob ...
Image ID FL04_038_001
54. Owen Kitchener 'Tich' Hewes worked in a shipyard in Chichester. Owen believes 'Tich' was killed by a mine in the River Blackwater on a part of the river that ...
Image ID FL07_004_001
55. One of many Second World War gun emplacements. This is the only survivor on the promenade and is now called "Two Sugars". To the left of this building linked by ...
Image ID FL08_014_003
56. Newspaper cuttings 1941-42
28 June 1941 Death of Sapper Owen Kitchener Hewes or Royal Engineers. Also mentions the death of his sister Kate (Mrs ...
Image ID FL14_011
57. It is with regret we record the death of Sapper Owen Kitchener Hewes, of the Royal Engineers. "Tich" as he was affectionately called by all who knew him, was a ...
Date: 28 June 1941
Image ID FL14_011_006
58. Mr B. Christmas reported missing - News has been received that Mr Bertie Christmas, only son of Mr and Mrs Christmas of Burton House, High Street North is ...
Date: 20 September 1941
Image ID FL14_013_001
59. Home Guard at Wings for Victory Parade
Oswald French is thought to be in the Front Rank on the left.
Date: 23 May 1943
Image ID FRC_002_011
60. £2 grant to meet £15 costs
Farmers on 6,000 Essex Acres want "Guaranteed Recompense"
Essex War Agricultural Committee have asked for ...
Date: 9 February 1940
Image ID FWK_1940_FEB09_099