31. CAPTAIN JOHN laid up in River Blackwater
Date: 8 May 1984
Image ID IA01_863
32. Sea Scouts on the Mersea foreshore. The late Hugh Markham.
Possibly 1950s. Photo donated by Andrew Sales.
Image ID IA01_881
33. Ex-bodyguard to the Czarina
A West Mersea man who served in the Czarina's bodyguard and made a dramatic escape from Russia during the days of the ...
Date: October 1983
Image ID IA01_895
34. Brian Jay, Roy Keane and Ron Green. Mersea Museum Resource Centre. Photo by Pat Kirby
Date: 8 August 2019
Image ID IA01_945
35. The Lawn, Mill Road, West Mersea. The thick walls were built during WW2 when the building was leased from Dr Neill and used as a First Aid Post and Casualty ...
Date: October 2014
Image ID IA01_971
36. Sailing barges at Hythe Quay, Colchester. An old postcad before many of the wharves were built.
Image ID IA01_975
37. The Wheel Tomb. Found on Mersea Island 1896.
Roman tomb found 1923 a few yards east of the wheel tomb
From Victoria County History of Essex vol 3 ...
Image ID IA01_BAR_003
38. Bison bones found on the mudflats off East Mersea. They were found by Chris Nower and Julie Shead, and identified by Steve Boreham of the University of ...
Date: 22 April 2011
Image ID IA01_BIS_001
39. Bison bones found off East Mersea by Chris Nower and Julie Shead.
They were found approximately 100 yards off the beach near Cosway's caravan park. One small ...
Date: cApril 2011
Image ID IA01_BIS_007
40. "When Bison, Wild Boar and Mammoths roamed"
Chris Nower and Julie Shead standing in front of the display from the 2019 Summer Exhibition. They had found a ...
Date: 28 September 2019
Image ID IA01_BIS_009
41. The will of Hannah Clark of East Mersea. Image from Tim Clark, transcribed below by Chris Kirkman.
In the Name of God Amen
Date: 26 October 1843
Image ID IA01_HAN_001
42. Birch School. Much of this scene was unchanged in the 1950s, but the lovely lamp post in the road had long since gone.
Date: Before 1918
Image ID IA01_SCH_011
43. Mersea Prefects 1954. Summer Term. Headmaster Mr C.R. Westcott.
Back row L-R 1. Victor Ponder (Peldon), Geoff Carter (Abberton), 3. Roy Bloomfield, 4. Alan ...
Date: cJuly 1954
Image ID IA01_SCH_021
44. CANONESA off Tollesbury. She arrived from London to lay up 29 June 1934.
Date: After 29 June 1934
Image ID IA01_SHP_007
45. S.S. VASARI at New York. Lamport & Holt Line between New York, Brazil and River Plate.
VASARI was laid up in the River Blackwater 7 Feb 1928 to 12 March ...
Image ID IA01_SHP_011
46. Fish factory ship ARCTIC QUEEN owned by Hellyer Bros. of Hull. She was formerly Lamport & Holt VASARI. Later sold to Russia, she was not broken up until ...
Image ID IA01_SHP_013
47. SEA FREIGHTLINER I
4,034 grt built in 1968 by Redheads at South Shields.
Seen laid up on the River Blackwater, Essex on 16th August 1986.
Broken up at ...
Date: 16 August 1968
Image ID IA01_SHP_270
48. REEFER DUKU 6,925 g.t. built in 1974 by Drammen Slip, Drammen.
Ex: Wild Fulmar-83.
Seen laid up on the River Blackwater 16th August 1986.
Date: 16 August 1986
Image ID IA01_SHP_410
49. CAPTAIN JOHN 9,163 g.t. built 1960 in Japan.
Owner: Astro Carisma Armadora S.A., Panama.
ex: Captain George, Igaharu Maru-74.
Seen laid up in the River ...
Date: 9 September 1984
Image ID IA01_SHP_430
50. James Sadler, Fish Hawker, outside the Methodist Church in Mill Road, West Mersea.
James was born Mayland c1831. He married Matilda Esther Hardy 18 ...
Image ID IA01_SLR_003