211. ENDEAVOUR surges by, following VELSHEDA out of Harwich in 1934. Despite the light wind she moves swiftly in the calm water under a large Genoa jib and mainsail. ...
Image ID BOXB2_400_001
212. The crew of SHAMROCK V, at anchor before her transatlantic passage in 1930. Mate Lemon Cranfield stands by the guardwires at the extreme left. Pride of place is ...
Image ID BOXB2_400_005
213. SATANITA. Captain Tom Jay of Rowhedge. The largest of the First Class yachts of 1893, at full speed on a reach.
Used in The Big Class Racing Yachts page ...
Image ID BOXB2_400_007
214. River Dart crowded with yachts for Regatta Week in 1896.
Used in The Big Class Racing Yachts page 56.
Image ID BOXB2_400_021
215. AILSA and BRITANNIA at their best. 1895. Captain Tom Jay in AILSA, Captain John Carter in BRITANNIA. Long racing rivals but near neighbours at home in ...
Image ID BOXB2_400_023
216. Schooner ADELA reaching at her maximum speed about 1904. She was built by J. & G. Fay for Claud T. Cayley. She later became HEARTSEASE and after 1939 became a ...
Image ID BOXB2_400_045
217. The hulk of the 23 metre racing cutter BRYNHILD, beached in Brightlingsea creek for breaking up, after her dramatic sinking at Harwich in 1910.
Used in The ...
Image ID BOXB2_400_051
218. METEOR IV, designed and built in Germany 1909.
Used in The Big Class Racing Yachts page 97.
Image ID BOXB2_400_053
219. British large racing schooner MARGHERITA. 1913. Designed and built by Camper and Nicholson. 162ft length overall, 100ft w.l. Captain Alfred Embling of Gosport ...
Image ID BOXB2_400_057
220. Owner and some of the crew of the America's Cup challenger SHAMROCK IV at Gosport in 1914. Sir Thomas Lipton in the centre.
Used in The Big Class Racing ...
Image ID BOXB2_400_060
221. Hugh Paul's ASTRA reaching along for the next marik off Harwich. The destroyer in the background is H.M.S. SCOUT H51, 1,075 tons, built 1918 and scrapped ...
Image ID BOXB2_400_075
222. Crew of the SHAMROCK V 1930. Sir T. Lipton's challenger for the America's Cup.
Back row 1. Charlie Dan of Wivenhoe, cook, 2. Tom Cudmore of Tollesbury, ...
Image ID BOXB2_400_083
223. Captains Lemon and William Cranfield at the tiller of the Valkyrie II, America's Cup challenger 1893.
Used in Gaff Rig page 152.
Used in The Big Class ...
Image ID BOXB3_038_001_001
224. 100ft yawl Jullanar of 1875.
Used in Gaff Rig page 209
Used in The Salty Shore page 153.
From: Gaff Rig
Image ID BOXB3_047_001_001
225. The start of the race to Ostend from Brightlingsea 12 Aug 1933. FELICIA, which gained 2nd place, is seen.
From: Gaff Rig / Smacks
Date: 12 August 1933
Image ID BOXB3_088_001_001
226. Colne Yacht Club Regatta. ANDRUM CURLEW.
From: Gaff Rig / Smacks
Image ID BOXB3_133_001_001
227. CORONA --- light draught twin tunnel screw steam 'yacht' built Forrestt Wivenhoe for the Crown Agent for the Colonies for the Governor General of Nigeria for ...
Image ID BOXB4_001_013
228. Postcard - Steam Yacht ANGLIA. She appears to have a radar scanner which suggests a post-war photograph.
Raymond Frost (budge) from Tollesbury was a crew ...
Image ID BOXB4_002_010
229. The crew of the 50 ton s.y. ALEXANDRA which John Harvey designed and built for the Prince of Wales. She was launched in 1869. Official No. 58176.
Used in ...
Image ID BOXB4_002_011
230. Wivenhoe church tower looking down river. Daniell & Sons Black Boy in foreground. Steam yachts in moorings.
In "The Story of Wivenhoe", Nicholas Butler ...
Date: Before 1913
Image ID BOXB4_003_005
231. Wivenhoe Regatta. Steam launches and steam yachts in the distance.
From H Goodwin negatives. Glass negative - 3.25 x 4.25 (Quarter Plate).
Image ID BOXB4_003_006
232. The men in uniforms are Royal Navy Reserve officers, probably on
board an armed yacht. The crews of requisitioned vessels often stayed with
their ships; in ...
Image ID BOXB4_003_008
233. The men in uniforms are Royal Navy Reserve officers, probably on board an armed yacht. The crews of requisitioned vessels often stayed with their ships; in many ...
Image ID BOXB4_003_009
234. The steel hulled VELSHEDA thundering along off Harwich in 1934. She is preparing to round a mark before squaring away on a run to the finishing line. The ...
Image ID BOXB5_013_001
235. 12 metres stand out from Harwich harbour, past the grain mills of Felixstowe Dock. This photograph was taken at the Royal Harwich Yacht Club Regatta of either ...
Image ID BOXB5_013_009
236. Schooner TAMESIS. The old steamer and sailing ship type of ornamental bow for many years before 1936 seen sailing on the River Colne. [DW].
The 140 ton ...
Image ID BOXB5_013_012
237. Barge, French fishing boat and other craft leaving Harwich Harbour. [DW]
A mixture of craft at Harwich regatta, 1938. One of R. and W. Paul's Ipswich ...
Image ID BOXB5_013_014
238. A procession of giants; VELSHEDA leading ENDEAVOUR at Harwich regatta, 1934. The royal racing cutter BRITANNIA lags well astern (left) of the two 'J' class ...
Image ID BOXB5_013_016
239. Big Class yacht ASTRA rounding mark at Harwich Regatta 1934 [DW]
ASTRA surges round the Cliff End buoy off Harwich as her crew prepares to set the ...
Image ID BOXB5_013_024
240. After deck of the 12 metre MARINA, 1936. Her owner, Sir William Burton, is at the wheel. Lady Burton and a guest sit at the forward end of the cockpit. Skipper ...
Image ID BOXB5_013_027