1. Earthquake 1884. Went's Mill, Peldon.
From left, Peldon Steam Mill, Windmill and Peldon Mill House damaged by the "Colchester Earthquake" of 2 April 1884 ...
Date: cMay 1884
Image ID ALS_C20_063
2. The Zeppelin at Little Wigborough - some of the Special Constables involved in arresting the German crew.
From left, Olive Dansie (daughter of Edgar Dansie ...
Date: cOctober 1916
Image ID ALS_ZEP_001
3. Private Alfred George Baldwin
9th Battalion Duke of Wellingtons (West Riding Regiment)
Killed in action in France 24th March 1918 aged ...
Date: 24 March 1918
Image ID ARB_AGB_001
4. Private Arthur George Whiting No. 260181.
1st & 8th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment.
Killed in action in Belgium 27 August 1917 aged 19 ...
Date: 27 August 1917
Image ID ARB_AGW_001
5. Gwendoline and Edward Harding outside their home - Strood Close, The Strood, Peldon. They named the house Strood Close. They had bought the house from ...
Image ID AW02_003
6. Smack KATE. Built 1883, registered at times as MN81, CK139, CK52. Photograph at Peldon.
Image ID CML_007
7. Smacks at Peldon. The nearest is SHAMROCK.
Image ID CML_013
8. S.C. White, Draper and Grocer's shop. Peldon
Edgar Charles Dansie and Leonard Dansie ?
Date: Before 1916
Image ID CMW_BDG_003
9. The Church, Peldon. Postcard by S.C. White, West Mersea, not used.
Image ID CW5_103
10. Harry Ponder. Harry lived in Hillside Cottage, Church Road, Peldon, and worked at either Copt Hall or Abbott's Wick farm. Born c1882.
Image ID DEP_051
11. Land Girls Edna Smy née Dallas, Rose, Emmy, Bunny Webb or Bunny Reynolds (tractor driver) working near Peldon Rose 1942
Image ID DIS2008_WLA_129
12. Edna Smy née Dallas. Peldon Hostel 1941. Women's Land Army.
Image ID DIS2008_WLA_130
13. Moor Farm, Colchester Road, Peldon. At one time up to 500 Indian Runner Ducks were kept on the pond (now filled in).
From Album 3.
Image ID FL03_012_001
14. Hunt meet outside Peldon Rose. On the right talking are Pearl Cross from Waldegraves Farm West Mersea and Edward Martin from Moor Farm Peldon.
From Album ...
Date: Before 1940
Image ID FL03_016_001
15. Blacksmith Hill, Peldon. Hammond postcard
Image ID GWC_001
16. Peldon - outside the Plough. A boy is working the village pump and behind him is the Old Cottage, run as a shop by Clem Hyam. The Post Office is further down ...
Image ID GWC_003
17. Peldon - Thomas Wyncoll and grandchildren.
Image ID GWC_005
18. Peldon - Thomas Wyncoll and grandchild. Tom Wyncoll was Geoff's grandfather, and one of the Peldon Special Constables that arrested the Zeppelin crew.
Image ID GWC_007
19. Wedding of Kate Goody and Ernest Wyncoll. Photograph taken outside Barnards Cottage, Peldon - home of the bride's parents.
Adults from left to right Emily ...
Date: 21 September 1935
Image ID GWC_009
20. Ernest and Kate Wyncoll had the bungalow, Goodwyn, built on the Mersea Road, Peldon, the name being an amalgam of their names Goody and Wyncoll. Later their ...
Image ID GWC_021
21. Essex Constubulary. Watch presented to T. Wyncoll for good services when Zeppelin L33 was brought down in Essex on 24.9.16
Date: c25 September 1916
Image ID GWC_031
22. Essex Constubulary. Watch presented to T. Wyncoll for good services when Zeppelin L33 was brought down in Essex on 24.9.16
Date: c25 September 1916
Image ID GWC_033
23. Geoff Wyncoll's brother David with 3 kid goats. Geoff says:
"My parents, along with many other animals kept 2 goats at our home in Peldon Amelia and Bill. ...
Image ID GWC_051
24. 'The Plough' and village pump, Peldon.
Image ID HAY_RON_002
25. Caroline Traylor, born c1876
2 October 1904 Caroline Agnes Mira Mallett married Elijah William Traylor.
Their daughter Lilian was Richard Haward's ...
Image ID HH06_501
26. Lilian Haward nee Traylor, born c1905. Richard Haward's mother.
2 Nov 1932 Edwin Richard (Dick) Haward married Lilian Dorothy Traylor at Peldon Parish ...
Image ID HH06_503
27. Peldon Methodist Church
Back row L-R 1., 2. Elijah Traylor, 3., 4., 5., 6., 7.
Front 1., 2., 3., 4., 5., 6.
Elijah Traylor was father of Nanna ...
Image ID HH06_621
28. Joseph Charles William Mallett born 1872 and died 20 Dec 1911. Barge skipper.
Photo by R. Deacon, 14 Queen Street, Colchester
Image ID HH06_623
29. Mirror that was broken by the earthquake 22 April 1884, donated to the Museum January 2012.
A note on the back of the mirror says
"This Mirror is a ...
Date: 29 June 1884
Image ID IA004542
30. Pyefleet House at the Peldon end of the Strood, showing damage from the 1884 earthquake. The house should have 3 chimneys - only one remains and this has ...
Date: cMay 1884
Image ID IA004741