Mersea Island Museum - Blackwater Ships


Ship:      HELICINA
Arrived:c21 November 1957
Departed:11 April 1962
Career:HELICINA was one of a trio of 18 knot turbo-electric tankers ordered during WW2 to carry petroleum across the Atlantic. They were not needed for their original purpose. The first ship, the HYALINA, was taken over by the Admiralty as the OLNA for use in the Pacific. The third ship, when delivered, became the HYALINA.

HELICINA left the river 11 April 1962 in tow of TRADESMAN and SEAMAN. Broken up 20 Apr 1962 at Blyth.
Oyster Company ledger first payment 6 wks 2 days compensation 4 January 1958 to W. Fieldgate & Son. Last payment 1 week 4 days on 11 April 1962.

The HELICINA still had a full crew on board while laid up - see Laid up Shell Tankers .

For details of this and other Shell or Eagle Oil tankers, see www.helderline.nl.

Tonnage:12,167 gross
Built:1946
Type:Tanker
Owner:Anglo Saxon Petroleum Co. Ltd.
Official No:180983
ID1180983

HELICINA, one of a pair of fast tankers owned by Anglo Saxon Petroleum Company (Shell tankers). Built 1946 and scrapped after she left the River Blackwater in April 1962. Date: 1959.

Above:  HELICINA, one of a pair of fast tankers owned by Anglo Saxon Petroleum Company (Shell tankers). Built 1946 and scrapped after she left the River Blackwater in April 1962. Date: 1959.
Source: Mersea Museum / Ian Clarke Collection

Shell tankers laid up in the River Blackwater. HELICINA on the left, HYALINA on the right. Date: 1959.

Above:  Shell tankers laid up in the River Blackwater. HELICINA on the left, HYALINA on the right. Date: 1959.
Source: Mersea Museum / David Boddington Collection


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2019

";