HELICINA was one of a trio of 18 knot turbo-electric tankers ordered during WW2 to carry petroleum across the Atlantic. They were not needed for their original purpose. The first ship, the HYALINA, was taken over by the Admiralty as the OLNA for use in the Pacific. The third ship, when delivered, became the HYALINA.
HELICINA left the river 11 April 1962 in tow of TRADESMAN and SEAMAN. Broken up 20 Apr 1962 at Blyth.
Oyster Company ledger first payment 6 wks 2 days compensation 4 January 1958 to W. Fieldgate & Son. Last payment 1 week 4 days on 11 April 1962.
Above: HELICINA, one of a pair of fast tankers owned by Anglo Saxon Petroleum Company (Shell tankers). Built 1946 and scrapped after she left the River Blackwater in April 1962. Date: 1959. Source: Mersea Museum / Ian Clarke Collection
Above: Shell tankers laid up in the River Blackwater. HELICINA on the left, HYALINA on the right. Date: 1959. Source: Mersea Museum / David Boddington Collection