Mersea Island Museum - Blackwater Ships


Ship:      ROWALLAN CASTLE
Arrived:11 September 1962
Departed:21 November 1962
Arrived 2:15 September 1964
Departed 2:14 January 1965
Arrived 3:17 September 1966
Departed 3:12 January 1967
Arrived 4:25 October 1967
Departed 4:3 December 1967
Arrived 5:27 September 1968
Departed 5:18 December 1968
Career:The Union Castle R Class ships Rowallan, Rustenburg, Riebeeck, Richmond, Roslin, and the Malta Convoy ship Rochester Castle were primarily used for the South African fruit trade and laid up in the River Blackwater each year for about three months out of season.
ROWALLAN CASTLE was broken up Kaohsiung 2 Sep 1971
Oyster Company ledger 15 September 1962 compensation 5 days.
8 December 1962 compensation 4 weeks

Arrived in Blackwater 11 Sep 1962 from London. Sailed Blackwater 21 Nov 1962 for River Tyne
Arrived in Blackwater 15 Sep 1964 from London. Sailed Blackwater 14 Jan 1965 for River Tyne
Arrived in Blackwater 17 Sep 1966 from Le Havre. Sailed Blackwater 12 Jan 1967 for River Tyne
Arrived in Blackwater 25 Oct 1967 from Hamburg. Sailed Blackwater 3 Dec 1967 for Glasgow
Arrived in Blackwater 27 Sep 1968 from Le Havre. Sailed Blackwater 18 Dec 1968 for River Tyne
Arrived in Blackwater 29 Aug 1969 from Sheerness. Sailed Blackwater 8 Jan 1970 for River Tyne

Tonnage:7,950 gross
Built:1943
Type:Refrigerated ship
Owner:Union Castle
Official No:168422
ID1168422

Union Castle refrigerated cargo ship ROWALLAN CASTLE laid up in the River Blackwater. These Union Castle ships were primarily used in the seasonal fruit trade and were regular visitors to the River Blackwater, making it difficult to date this photograph. ROWALLAN CASTLE was built 1943 and scrapped 1971 Date: c1968.

Above:  Union Castle refrigerated cargo ship ROWALLAN CASTLE laid up in the River Blackwater. These Union Castle ships were primarily used in the seasonal fruit trade and were regular visitors to the River Blackwater, making it difficult to date this photograph. ROWALLAN CASTLE was built 1943 and scrapped 1971 Date: c1968.
Source: Mersea Museum / Ian Clarke Collection


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2019

";