HIGHLAND ROVER was laid up in the Blackwater and is referred to in Waterside Memories by Frank Drake. There is a picture of a launch bought from the owners of HIGHLAND ROVER and used as a work launch by the Tollesbury boatyard.
HIGHLAND ROVER was one of 10 sisters but she was the only one to survive in the fleet after 1929.
Broken up Grays 20 Sep 1932.
Arrival date July 1930 from Essex Record Office document DF 106/1/10/12 T&MNOFC Record of Ships Moored on Fishery 1930-33
Dates from Oyster Company ledger:
- 19 October 1932 owner Thos W. Ward, Sheffield.
- 20 December 1932 conveying men to ship.
Voyage Record Card: HIGHLAND ROVER arrived River Blackwater 16 July 1930 from Hamburg
Belfast News-Letter 03 July 1930 reported HIGHLAND ROVER passed Gravesend for London (Royal Albert Dock)
Dundee Evening Telegraph of 21 June 1933 reported fire on HIGHLAND ROVER at shipbreakers.
Above: Off Tollesbury. Postcard 126374 not mailed.
The vessel on the left is HIGHLAND ROVER - one of a class of 10 built for Nelson Line 1910-11. They were HIGHLAND BRAE (scuttled 1915), HIGHLAND CORRIE (sunk 1910), HIGHLAND GLEN (sold 1929), HIGHLAND LADDIE (sold 1929), HIGHLAND PRIDE (wrecked 1929), HIGHLAND ROVER (broken up 1932), HIGHLAND SCOT (wrecked 1918), HIGHLAND LOCH (sold 1929), HIGHLAND PIPER (sold 1929) and HIGHLAND WARRIOR (wrecked 1915). Only the HIGHLAND ROVER survived beyond 1929 ... Date: Before 20 October 1932. Source: Mersea Museum / Cedric Gurton Tollesbury
Above: River Blackwater Tollesbury. Postcard not mailed.
L to R ?, ?, CITY OF GUILDFORD, BENGUELA, HIGHLAND ROVER. Date: 1930s. Source: Mersea Museum / Cedric Gurton Tollesbury
Above: The Pier, Tollesbury. Postcard unmailed.
Laid up HIGHLAND ROVER on the left, in the river July 1930 to 20 October 1932. Date: cJuly 1930. Source: Mersea Museum / Cedric Gurton Tollesbury
Above: Off Tollesbury Pier. Postcard 126366, not mailed.
Six vessels visible, thought to be L-R 1 to 3 not known, 4. VOLTAIRE (15 Oct 1930 to 7 May 1932), 5. PAKEHA (June to 21 October 1930, 6. HIGHLAND ROVER Date: c18 October 1930. Source: Mersea Museum / Cedric Gurton Tollesbury