Mersea Island Museum - Blackwater Ships


Ship:      EMPIRE BAFFIN
Arrived:31 October 1945
Departed:8 May 1946
Career:Cargo ship which was built by Lithgows Ltd, Port Glasgow in 1941 for the Ministry of War Transport (MoWT). She was commissioned in 1943 as HMS SANCROFT, being converted into a cable laying ship for Operation Pluto. She was returned to the MoWT in 1946. [Wikipedia]
Built as EMPIRE BAFFIN. Renamed SANCROFT-1943, EMPIRE BAFFIN-1946, CLINTONIA-1946, ASPIS-1960. Broken up Yokosuka December 1963.
From Oyster Company ledger:
- 1 December 1945 Compensation 4 wks 4 days, owner/agent Andrew Weir & Co.
- 8 May 1946 Compensation 5 wks 4 days

National Archives records show EMPIRE BAFFIN sailed from London 30-10-45 and arrived River Blackwater 31-10-45
National Archives state ship was handed over to Stag Line on 07-05-46
Shields Daily News 10 May 1946 EMPIRE BAFFIN arrived 10-05-46 River Tyne (Commissioners) from River Blackwater
Hartlepool Mail of 7 Nov 1946 reported EMPIRE BAFFIN being converted at Tyne Dock Engineering to return to commercial use in spring of 1947 and to be renamed CLINTONIA after conversion.
Arrived 27 Oct 1945 [George Swieszkowski - Lloyds List]

Tonnage:6,978 gross
Built:1941
Type:Cargo ship
Owner:British Government
Official No:168968
ID1168968

Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2020

";