Mersea Island Museum - Blackwater Ships


Ship:      LONDON COMMERCE
Arrived:16 June 1926
Departed:6 September 1926
Career:Launched as NATALIANA and completed as LONDON COMMERCE for Furness, Withy. 1928 transferred to Prince Line and renamed ROYAL PRINCE.
1926 visit dates from George Swieszkowski - Lloyds List.
She was laid up again as ROYAL PRINCE in the River Blackwater at Tollesbury in 1931 and remained there until May 1935 when she was sold with her sisters to T & J Harrison who renamed her COLLEGIAN.
Broken up Milford Haven February 1948

"Haven of Rest" by Douglas Gurton lists the vessel as LONDON COMMERCE but has no further info. See DJG_SHP

Tonnage:7,886 gross
Built:1923
Type:Refrigerated ship
Owner:Furness Withy & Co Ltd
Official No:146693
ID1146693

ROYAL PRINCE (3) was built in 1923 by Furness Shipbuilding Co. at Haverton-on-Tees with a tonnage of 7886grt, a length of 450ft 6in, a beam of 58ft and a service speed of 14.5 knots. Sister of the Imperial Prince she was completed as the LONDON COMMERCE for Furness, Withy & Co. and was laid up in the River Blackwater under that name in 1926. In 1928 she was overhauled at Cobh, transferred to Prince Line and renamed Royal Prince. She was laid up in the River Blackwater at Tollesbury in 1931 and ...

Above:  ROYAL PRINCE (3) was built in 1923 by Furness Shipbuilding Co. at Haverton-on-Tees with a tonnage of 7886grt, a length of 450ft 6in, a beam of 58ft and a service speed of 14.5 knots. Sister of the Imperial Prince she was completed as the LONDON COMMERCE for Furness, Withy & Co. and was laid up in the River Blackwater under that name in 1926. In 1928 she was overhauled at Cobh, transferred to Prince Line and renamed Royal Prince. She was laid up in the River Blackwater at Tollesbury in 1931 and ...
Source: Mersea Museum


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2020

";