Cargo ship which was built by Lithgows Ltd, Port Glasgow in 1941 for the Ministry of War Transport (MoWT). She was commissioned in 1943 as HMS SANCROFT, being converted into a cable laying ship for Operation Pluto. She was returned to the MoWT in 1946. [Wikipedia]
Built as EMPIRE BAFFIN. Renamed SANCROFT-1943, EMPIRE BAFFIN-1946, CLINTONIA-1946, ASPIS-1960. Broken up Yokosuka December 1963.
From Oyster Company ledger:
- 1 December 1945 Compensation 4 wks 4 days, owner/agent Andrew Weir & Co.
- 8 May 1946 Compensation 5 wks 4 days
National Archives records show EMPIRE BAFFIN sailed from London 30-10-45 and arrived River Blackwater 31-10-45
National Archives state ship was handed over to Stag Line on 07-05-46
Shields Daily News 10 May 1946 EMPIRE BAFFIN arrived 10-05-46 River Tyne (Commissioners) from River Blackwater
Hartlepool Mail of 7 Nov 1946 reported EMPIRE BAFFIN being converted at Tyne Dock Engineering to return to commercial use in spring of 1947 and to be renamed CLINTONIA after conversion.