HYALINA was the third of a trio of 18 knot turbo-electric tankers ordered during WW2 to carry petroleum across the Atlantic. They were not needed for their original purpose. The first ship was originally HYALINA, but was taken over by the Admiralty as the OLNA for use in the Pacific. The second ship was the HELICINA. The third ship, when delivered, became the HYALINA.
HYALINA sailed for scrapping 16 Feb 1961
Oyster Company ledger only recorded payment is 4 wks 4 days compensation 1 February 1958.
Arrived 20 Jan 1958 departed 23 July 1958 arrived 26 July 1959 departed 16 Feb 1961 for Blyth in tow TRADESMAN and MERCHANTMAN.
Above: Shell tanker HYALINA laid up in the River Blackwater. The goliath crane at Bradwell Power Station is behind her stern.
HYALINA was in the river 20 Jan 1958 to 16 Feb 1961. Date: c1959. Source: Brian Jay Collection
Above: Shell tankers laid up in the River Blackwater. HELICINA on the left, HYALINA on the right. Date: 1959. Source: Mersea Museum / David Boddington Collection