91. Carting the hay harvest off Great Bentley green. The village boys take a great interest in the work, particularly as horses are so seldom used ...
Date: December 1961
Image ID EC61_12_068_002
Added 2019-11-23 19:18:41
92. The thatcher's finished work at "Ryescroft," Coggeshall - a beautiful piece of thatching.
Essex Countryside, May 1961.
Image ID EC61_05_283_002
Added 2019-11-23 17:20:51
93. Of all the rural craftsmen who fascinate the public, perhaps the thatcher especially typifies the traditional skill of the countryman. Our photograph shows Mr ...
Image ID EC61_05_283_001
Added 2019-11-23 17:16:10
94. Water Clock. Owned by many years by a Brightlingsea watchmaker and has been the cause of much interest in his shop. It was made by Norwich clockmaker William ...
Image ID EC63_09_495
Added 2019-11-23 16:56:42
95. The rainbow's end over Alresford.
Essex Countryside competition entry from Douglas Went, March 1962.
Image ID EC62_03_206_001
Added 2019-11-23 09:43:17
96. The bridge at Layer de la Haye watermill.
Essex Countryside competition entry from Douglas Went, May 1963.
Image ID EC63_05_294_123
Added 2019-11-23 09:32:02
97. The Post Office at Tolleshunt D'Arcy in 1936 before restoration. In the 1960s, they were recently restored, but Douglas Went considers they looked better before ...
Image ID EC63_05_304
Added 2019-11-23 09:25:56
98. Small boats racing on the River Colne off Brightlingsea
Essex Countryside competition entry from Douglas Went.
Date: August 1962
Image ID EC62_08_418_002
Added 2019-11-23 09:14:15
99. Summer idyll: while the mother rests by the brook's bank, the children enjoy a game and paddle in the flowing brook at Great Bentley.
Essex Countryside ...
Image ID EC56_07_141
Added 2019-11-23 08:12:30
100. A familiar scene all through the summer by Brightlingsea Hard. Competition entry from Douglas Went.
Essex Countryside magazine.
Date: July 1961
Image ID EC61_07_367_001
Added 2019-11-23 08:00:47
101. Beautiful cloud formation. Sunset over the River Colne off Brightlingsea. Competition entry from Douglas Went.
Essex Countryside magazine February 1962.
Image ID EC62_02_160_001
Added 2019-11-23 07:44:09
102. Yachts finishing the last race of the season on the River Colne. Competition photograph from Douglas Went.
Essex Countryside magazine, February 1962.
Image ID EC62_02_168_001
Added 2019-11-22 22:36:45
103. Sheep grazing at eventide on Great Bentley Hall Farm. A study from Douglas Went.
Essex Countryside magazine, July 1964.
Image ID EC64_07_413
Added 2019-11-22 22:29:23
104. St Osyth creek at low tide, by the old tide mill. Photo competition entry from Douglas Went
Essex Countryside magazine, August 1961.
Image ID EC61_08_407_001
Added 2019-11-22 21:58:39
105. In a Wrabness barn, Mr C.J. Wade, a member of the Essex Master Thatchers' Association splits hazel sticks ready to hold down the new thatch he is putting on the ...
Image ID EC63_07_388
Added 2019-11-22 20:25:45
106. War and peace. children play on a dismantled mine on Brightlingsea Causeway, which is used as a collecting box for the Shipwrecked Mariners' Society. ...
Image ID EC61_09_450_001
Added 2019-11-22 20:14:37
107. Bridge over the Blackwater at Kelvedon. Competition entry by Douglas Went.
Essex Countryside magazine, Aug/Sep 1958.
Image ID EC58_08_015_001
Added 2019-11-22 20:07:25
108. The Queen's Head, Great Clacton, which was recently restored. Entry in photograph, by Douglas Went.
Essex Countryside magazine, year not known.
Image ID ECXX_101
Added 2019-11-22 17:36:47
109. Two cygnets watch with apparent interest repairs being done to a boat on Brightlingsea Hard.
From Swans in Essex by Douglas Went.
Essex Countryside ...
Image ID EC57_04_100_003
Added 2019-11-22 08:56:58
110. Photo from Murrays - The Pier - Clacton-on-Sea. 3369.
Image ID DW14_051
Added 2019-11-21 08:34:31
111. School of Music, Dancing and Physical Culture
(Principal) A.E. Ward-Leat.
Image ID DW16_027
Added 2019-11-21 08:01:29
112. The Home Secretary's 15th Century Stanstead Hall.
Photo used in Essex Countryside, year not known: "Stansted Hall, the beautiful Tudor residence of the ...
Image ID DW16_019
Added 2019-11-21 07:49:06
113. Pony & Trap. Brightlingsea ?
Image ID DW16_017
Added 2019-11-21 07:46:37
114. 1946, Petrol still rationed. Pony used to bring children to the beach.
Date: cJuly 1946
Image ID DW16_011
Added 2019-11-21 07:39:16
115. Henry John May
1802 - 1894
West Mersea. Essex.
Painting held by the descendants of Henry John May. It is 36 ins x 48 ...
Date: 19 November 2019
Image ID HJM_001
Added 2019-11-20 21:27:12
116. Jowett car W5059
Image ID DW15_089
Added 2019-11-19 20:19:50
117. Touring car
Image ID DW15_087
Added 2019-11-19 20:17:59
118. The Blackwater from the Mersea Road.
Image ID DW15_063
Added 2019-11-19 19:45:02
119. "Lovely is'nt it. Dedham's flooded valley." Douglas Went.
Image ID DW15_019
Added 2019-11-18 21:19:05
Image ID DW15_017
Added 2019-11-18 21:13:56